No nails left and pacing the floor!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cookie39

Post by Cookie39 »

My DD is not too bad. She thinks she mucked up the writing exercise because she wrote the descriptive piece with her name instead of 'I'! She realised with 20 minutes to spare but thought if she started to change it the piece would make no sense. She went in the girls loos in the break and cried which really upset me, poor thing. However she wrote more than usual and got all the wow words, punctuation etc in it so who knows? She said the maths was harder than the practice papers but not impossible and the VR was ok - none of the awful code questions she hates! She tried her best and can do no more; she's only 10+2 so I'm really proud of her for getting through it in one piece.

Good luck to everyones children who went through this today - they are all really brave! :)
Mumofthree

Post by Mumofthree »

So it's been a whole day since DS finished but he is still telling me bits and pieces from yesterday. He agreed with most of you that the maths was easier than he thought it would be. The verbal reasoning was ok too. The one he is unsure of is the writing, he only wrote just over a page and was upset that he'd picked the wrong thing to write about. I've told he not to worry and that he tried his hardest. So now the wait begins and we're trying not to talk about it any more in case it's bad news. Don't think I'll have any fingernails left by 1st Nov. :lol: :lol:
Good luck everyone
orangebear4

Post by orangebear4 »

My DD told me that there wasn't a choice of subject in the extended writing, which is different from the Kent test (although I realise this is only marked at appeal stage in Kent). I think that's a bit mean if you are not interested in that subject! :P
Doghouse135

Post by Doghouse135 »

My DS said there wasn't a choice either. He liked the subject which was a godsend as he normally hates literacy of any description :shock:
Cookie39

Post by Cookie39 »

Could I ask your opinions please. My DD got confused with the writing. She did it describing herself, using her own name, in the writing rather than referring to herself in the first person with 'I' (hope that makes sense). She thinks she has completely mucked it up and will now not pass.

Will they mark what she has done and deduct marks for not following the instructions to the letter? She put everything in there she needed such as description, punctuation, wow words, etc and wrote just under two sides. I'm hoping they will see what she has done and mark it for it's merit because she said it was a good piece for her. I'm assuming she'll still get the few extra points for her age which is 10 and 2 months. She thinks she did well on the maths and VR so who knows?

Any reassurance would help a very stressed and anxious mum right now!
jnadams2

Post by jnadams2 »

My DD thought the Maths was harder than the Kent test, guessed about 5! Finished in time though. Enjoyed the extended writing task, wrote 3 pages. VR was fine, normal and she finished with lots of time.

2 more days before we get the Kent test results! Aarggh!!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Cookie39 wrote:Could I ask your opinions please. My DD got confused with the writing. She did it describing herself, using her own name, in the writing rather than referring to herself in the first person with 'I' (hope that makes sense). She thinks she has completely mucked it up and will now not pass.
Cookie39 - I wouldn't worry, they will still give marks for spelling, punctuation, grammar, content etc. From what you have said I really wouldn't worry. My dd didn't finish the writing last year and got a great score. Hope this calms your nerves.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now