Help! Review process...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
for_tinkerbell

Post by for_tinkerbell »

Thanks everyone for your responses.
Medway mum , she got a 4B at the end of Y5 and at parents evening just before half term her teacher said her work is now of 4A standard and all she needs is to work on adding a bit more to reach L5. Her writing is weaker than her Maths in which she achieved L5 in Y5 however it is not as bad as this score. She is in the top set. (I know we shouldn't compare but ..her brother only achieved a L4 in writing at the end of Y6 and he still scored a 97 in the Medway test) She finished everything and was very confident when she came out of the test she said she found it much easier than the Kent test (which she passed confidently despite missing 12 VR questions)

I do fear (and reddebs post only serves to further my suspicion this is the case) they have only marked a small portion of her story as she has strayed from the subject matter- her athlete was tripped and taken to hospital but then the guy who tripped him brought him the trophy la de la (hints of run, fat boy, run which she saw recently- why oh why hadn't she watched chariots of fire!! lol) anyway I am sure you see my point- her creativity may have somewhat led to her downfall! I have been trying to find out how they mark to confirm if this is what has happened I have contacted medway with regard to my having access to her paper but don't hold much hope!

As for the review....thanks to everyone for pointing out the appeal route however myself and my dd would rather things be settled so if the review fails that will be the end of it. School are certain to be extremely supportive( I will see HT tomorrow -staff training today) however I am unsure of my role. Do I need extenuating circumstances? or is the fact that the result is out of line with expectations enough?
Do I need to fight her corner on my review form as you would with an appeal? or is it simply down to the school and her work? Do I mention she passed the Kent test? or point out she had no tuition or coaching in any form (opting for no pressure/natural ability after stress and nerves hindering my son's performance last yr) Apologies I know I have a lot of questions this review seems to be very 'one shot' and I just don't want to blow it for her!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

It is a personal choice but I too would actually go down the route of the Review. They would not take into account the Kent test at all and I'm sure there is no point mentioning it at all. The school do the Review for you, they send off pieces of work from Science, Math and English books. Last year the panel looking at the work seemed to be looking for consistency. As your DC is only 4 points off, I do not think the result will be questioned too much, probably more the school books - whether they are of a high enough standard.
It may be worth speaking to your child's teacher asking him to ensure he sends the books with post-it notes pointing out the highest level work produced?
If your child has had a good year 5 and produced some good work consistently, then obviously you stand a better chance. Math level is obviously fine, English - well if DC is 4a now, I'm assuming the target is a 5b for end of year which again is good.
Out of curiousity, are you going to go for a Medway or Kent school first on your list?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
undecided

Post by undecided »

What levels are looked at to be deemed suitable for review? My DD is at level 4A for writing, 4B for maths and 4A/5C for science? As the average child is expected to reach level 4 by the END of year 6, does not the fact that my DD is at these levels a year early make her 'above average' and therefore in the running for grammar school? This is what is confusing me - on one hand she is above average, but on the other not good enough for grammar? What is the criteria?
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

My apologies to the mods if I said too much in my previous posting re the actual content of the creative writing task. I felt that as out of county tests have been sat and results were out it would be okay to detail more fully the nature of the task. Must admit I did not think that the same test would be used for last entries so support the mods decision to remove some of my posting.
reddebs
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Reddebs

Thank you.

Should it come to light that the same test is NOT used, then I will happily restore your post.

Patricia
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

undecided wrote:What levels are looked at to be deemed suitable for review? My DD is at level 4A for writing, 4B for maths and 4A/5C for science? As the average child is expected to reach level 4 by the END of year 6, does not the fact that my DD is at these levels a year early make her 'above average' and therefore in the running for grammar school? This is what is confusing me - on one hand she is above average, but on the other not good enough for grammar? What is the criteria?
I was always told by a teacher at primary school that the 'average child' should aim to finish year 6/ks2 at level 4, however to achieve level 5's across the board at the same time (sats year 6) is an indication of grammar school ability.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Sorry, should have added a caution though to my above post - I do know of several children who were indeed level 5's but did not score high enough in their 11+ to be deemed successful - some got through on appeal and some didn't.
for_tinkerbell

Post by for_tinkerbell »

Thanks again medwaymum and Belinda for your advice and encouraging words!

I have now spoken to her teacher who at first said they needed to check her paper had been marked correctly as such an unexpected result..until I explained what the question was and what her story was and he confirmed that if she has not answered the question then they wont have marked it and the same goes for SATS, so hopefully she has learned her lesson and will take more time to work out exactly what has been asked of her in future!

Anyway School will support her review 100% and teacher confirmed (as was medway mum's suggestion) that they do highlight the best pieces of work when sending off books, he says they will go through last years too so hopefully that will show consistancy. I will (as Suggested by Belinda) keep the focus of my statement on the review form on the writing hopefully it will be clear when they see her books that this was just a blip and ordinarily her performance would heve been good all round.

As for schools I had decided not to really think about it until we had the results as I would have hated for her to fall in love with a school then not be able to go there! I do suspect a medway school ( Rainham Mark) would have been her first choice I know the one she has in mind and she already has friends there however she has had a taster day at the Kent school (highsted) and loved it, it is a fantastic well reputed school just further away. I think she will be ok either way.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now