Medway 11+ 2009

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
polly0494

Medway 11+ 2009

Post by polly0494 »

Can anybody talk me through the process for Medway 11+. My daughter goes into year 5 in Sept and will therefore take the 11+ in 2009. She goes to a catholic primary school and I am therefore unsure as to what support / revision will be available.
I have mixed views on using tutors, although my daughter is happy to go. Unsure as to when to commence tutoring though due to costs implications.
Any guidance from experienced mums / dads much appreciated. Thanks!
Doghouse135

Post by Doghouse135 »

Hi Polly

In my opinion, tutoring CAN be very effective depending on the tutor. 3 of my friends had their children tutored purely to pass the 11+ - One child passed and the other two didn't.

Interestingly enough the two children that didn't pass were both tutored by the same lady - Is it a coincidence and perhaps they were never going to pass regardless of the amount of tutoring or was the standard of tutoring not good enough ? - we'll never know.

I personally haven't had my son tutored because morally I didn't agree with having him tutored purely to pass a test. HOWEVER, I now wish I had - he's in the top streams at school - the school have been useless and haven't done any preparation with the children for the 11+ and now that I'm running through practice papers with him, he's finding it incredibly hard.

My advice personally would be to go for the tutoring but satisfy yourself of the standard of teaching :lol:
polly0494

Medway 11+ 2009

Post by polly0494 »

Thanks for the advice. I have made enquries with a local tutor who has been recommended. I think I will give it a go and review how she's getting on after a term. [/code]
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

The subject of tutoring is perhaps more emotive than the 11+ exam itself and is very much a personal decision. Your start point before this decision is whether you feel your child has the ability to work well at grammar school. The best people to help you decide is is your childs school and their 'ranking; (sorry awful term but you know what I mean) in their class. the 25% rule is a good rule of thumb and if your child is in top or next to top sets then this is a good guide. But perhaps your child is a 'young; child or is struggling with the teacher etc and is not shining as you know they can then this needs to be considered as well. I tell my parents to be honest with themselves and most of them are.

If you decide that your child is working towards the 11+ then you need to ensure that they are given the opportunity to become familar with the exam requirements and have an awareness of verbal reasoning and the more challenging Maths problems that may not yet have been introduced to them especially now that the test date in Medway is earlier in year 6. Now this is the tutoring issue. If you know your child will work with you and you are able to work with confidence with them then home tutoring is a must as this will mean a homely and familiar working envirmonment and of course the least expensive. However many are not up for this option due to a numer of factors then a tutor must be considered. Now to decide 1-2-1 or group?
As a parent of 2 children that have both been tutored for the 11+ the first went down the 1-2-1 route as he was the youngest child in his class and lacked confidence and belief in himself. We had a wonderful tutor (sadly deceased) and he flourished. My DD however froze at the sight of a tutor to herself and went to group tuition where she was able to see others going through the same process and not be 'watched' constantly. She too was very successful.
The irony of this is that I tutor for the 11+ myself but neither of my children would work with me and I had to decide what was right for them (and our family life, and my sanity!)) I suppose what I am really trying to say is that as a parent you have choices and as a parent you also know your child and your family situation better than anyone but without introduction and familirisation to the 11+ process your child will be at a disadvantage despite how bright and able they are . So whether tutoring from home, 121 or group, your child will need to practice to be able to approach the tests with confidence and allow their true ability to show.
Okay off my soap box and hope it works out well for you.
polly0494

Medway 11+ 2009

Post by polly0494 »

Thanks for your helpful comments. I will make some further enquiries with the school and then go from there.
teacher1

Catholic Schools

Post by teacher1 »

Hello! I used to be a teacher at a Catholic School and we didn't really prepare the children at all for the test. This is because we recommend another Catholic School. If you think your child is suitable for grammar school unfortunately a tutor is often necessary as the test is totally different to anything on the curriculum. It is very frustrating for parents especially in all other ways the school is perfect! If you cannot afford a tutor purchase some papers so that your child can see how to fill in the multiple choice forms and get used to decoding the 'wordy' questions. If I can help further please let me know!
(I also offer tutoring in the Medway area but I'm happy to answer any parents questions about the tests without plugging my services! I have spent the last three years preparing children for the tests and I get as nervous as the parents themselves!)
polly0494

Catholic Schools

Post by polly0494 »

Thanks for your comments. It is so helpful to have the views of somebody with 'inside experience'. We have decided to go down the tutoring route to assist with preparation for the test. I have heard various 'rumours' that the Medway test for 2009 may be brought in line with the dates for the Kent test, which presumably means it could be in September. Has anybody else any info regarding this?
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi
I think it is highly likely that Medway will follow Kent and go for a Sept test. I am already preparing to that date just in case.
Regards
lacey

Post by lacey »

quote] I am a year 5 teacher at a Catholic School and we don't really prepare the children at all for the test. This is because we are supposed to recommend another Catholic School.

I was very interested in what teacher1 had to say. I thought this was so, my daughter had no encouragement for the eleven plus , well no one did in year 6 in fact. When we asked the school to prepare a review they were very reluctant to do so but they did and they weren't even keen to discuss it. I feel let down by the school.

[/quote]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now