Unexpected D result in GL exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Northern Ireland

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

paddyq

Unexpected D result in GL exam

Post by paddyq »

My son's friend very unexpectedly got a D in last weekend's GL 11+ transfer test. This boy was getting A's in practice tests and has a reading age of 13. Does anybody know if appeals ever turn up mistakes in the marking system?? Either a mixup in result papers or some error in the marking of results on the results sheet so they are not read properly??
Can the results sheets be requested ??
Anybody else experience similar ??
salemother

Post by salemother »

They can request a remark, but the form has to be in by the 19th feb, It will be on the school (where he sat the exam) website. But GL have already said its unlikely that any mistakes will be found as the papers are marked twice.
He could have applied for special circumstances, but you had to actually register for that by the 18th Dec, before the results came out , also with special circumstances something has to have happened to the child to affect his performance on that day and then you have to show proof.
I think the best thing to do is contact the grammar school of first choice, explain he's an excellent student, this was unexpected and ask what to do next.
I suspect they will say that the family has to wait until 28th may (which is when everybody is formally notified about where they will be going to school) then the family will need to appeal. There have been plenty of cases were children have got into a grammar schools with a D on appeal, tell the family its all in the Department of educations book which every child received.
salemother

Post by salemother »

Forgot to say, results sheets can not be requested, just remarked.
Stephen McConkey

Post by Stephen McConkey »

I would agree with salemother. I am not aware of many results that are ever changed on remark.
Stephen McConkey
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephen McConkey is the author of the Learning Together range of practice materials.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now