Moving to Harrogate, well now its Skipton!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nitram

Post by nitram »

House prices are like here in Kent, so prepared for that. We are not that affluent to afford independent schools for both children. We have both travelled for many years long distances for work, so really prefer to be near the town for work/social and school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes it is really nice to have everything nearby for once! This is going to be a struggle though -

What are the options ? Take the Ripon / Skipton exam and see what happens there.. Harrogate to Skipton is not really a good daily commute for a kid but Harrogate to Ripon is done by quite a few (isn't it snowdrops?) - however to get a chance of getting into Ripon via a waiting list you would have to live quite close to Ripon itself.

Other options are living in the catchment for Harrogate Grammar - quite small area I think?

Or looking at indies and see about moving to GS at later stage if there is place.

Or live in Skipton and adults commute (oops I prefer it to Harrogate :wink: ) ??

Sorry - nothing ideal - really tricky when a move seems so exciting but then all the problems appear. We moved at this stage but fortunately had 18 months to plan it all.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

It's not so easy to remedy the situation by living in the catchment for Harrogate Grammar (which isn't a grammar school) as when they move, allocations will already have been made and the school will be full up (oversubcribed by about 50% I would expect!!). Moving into the catchment area would only be any good for the following son, but may then put her too far away for RGS for the 1st son.

It's an extremely difficult area to live in to get a good school.

If you live in RGS catchment area and pass, great you get in. If you don't pass the alternatives are not great.

If you live in the catchment area for Harrogate Grammar (a very good comprehensive, but has been known to fluctuate according to whoever the head is at the time) then great, but the catchment area is VERY small and fluctuates from year to year, depending on numbers. Although next year it will ease somewhat as the entry system changes. Up until next year ALL village children had priority over town children (meaning very few town children got their 1st choice :cry: :cry: ) - it was a case of money will out again!! They are now changing it to (I think) split the priorty to 21% priority to village children and 79% to town children. Still won't help anyone living more than a mile or so from Harrogate Grammar though, but will stop those people who live a couple of streets away from feeling hard done by :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

thanks for the HGS explanation - had heard it was strange village / town split with lots travelling from villages etc. probably explains the houseprices in the few roads around the school :wink:

Agreed it is incredibly difficult moving in to the specific area and getting a good school, they are heavily oversubscribed and spaces rarely come up. Think Nitram might have to reconsider the A59 Skipton / Harrogate road!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

In reality I agee and think the best bet would be live in Skipton (or along the A59 corridor within catchment - subject to checking with LEA for spaces of course :D ) and OH travel to Harrogate :shock: :shock:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Always fancied living along that road - but actually there isn;t much in the way of places with many people / houses ... Bolton Abbey, Blubberhouses, Kettlesing Bottom....
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

No it isn't in catchment - but only about half the kids live in catchment, - they have priority for places - however this year it was about 40 girls in catchment passed (can't remember for the boys) leaving 72 places for out of catchment.
I think the difference between Ripon and Skipton is that the Ripon catchment is more populated and hence more likely to fill the school with kids in catchment with far fewer OOC places.

Actually I've gon off Kettlesing since the windfarm appeared :roll:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Strangely I quite like the windfarm.

I find them graceful and peaceful and much much better than a nuclear power station :shock: :shock: They're quite fascinating close up and with the 'golf balls' on the other side of the road at least they're evenly placed :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

At least you can sit in Betty's while you try to decide! (Sorry, frivolous remark, but that place is well worth moving to Harrogate for).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now