Go to navigation
It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:10 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:50 am 

My daughter has an offer from these 2 schools. Which one is better? Please give advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:09 am 

Sorry, I don't have any knowledge of either of these two schools.

How did you feel about them when you visited? Does your daughter have a preference? Is one easier to get to than the other? Does one school teach a preferred subject?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:13 am 

we are living overseas. I just get information from the league table, inspection report and school websites. Therefore, I want some more informal information from parents around the area or those who knows these 2 schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:21 am 

The only bit I can help you with (I live in Harrogate) is that Harrogate Ladies' College is very well thought of, it's not academically selective, but I think the results are good. It's based (litereally) in the centre of town.

Have you considered Ashville, one of the best schools in North Yorkshire - it's a boarding school should you need it, but is co-ed (I note the other two are girls only schools). Find the ewebsite here: http://www.ashville.co.uk/

Leeds Grammar (not a grammar school but an independent) has a 'diamond' system which means the intake is mixed (boys and girls) who share common form/tutor time but go off for single sex lessons and come together again at break/lunch times. Again the standard is very high and may suit you as the best of both worlds. My one thing against Leeds Grammar is it's a big school - find the website here: http://www.leedsgrammar.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:31 am 

Thanks to the help of Snowdrops. The Grammar School at Leeds is really a big and excellent school. However, it's a day school without boarding. Do any one know Harrogate Ladies' College at Clarence Drive of Harrogate and Queen Margaret's School at Escrick Park of York?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:42 am 

I only know of a couple of girls who were at my DDs prep have gone to Harrogate Ladies and seem to be enjoying it. Not what I would have chosen necessarily.

Don't know of any at Queen Margaret's I am afraid.

On of the things about North Yorks indies is that there are lots of girls places and relatively few boys - schools are either co ed or girls only.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:43 am 

I don't think you'll get much of a response from people regarding these two specific schools as the Yorkshire forum is very quiet.

I can tell you Ripon Grammar School takes boarders - it might be something you'd like to look at? Website here: http://www.ripongrammar.co.uk/ - now that is a school I can thoroughly recommend!!