Details about the Grammar School exam 10th December

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
natvincat

Details about the Grammar School exam 10th December

Post by natvincat »

Has anyone had details of times/location for Saturday 10th yet?

Not that we are twitchy at all!
mitasol

Re: Details about the Grammar School exam 10th December

Post by mitasol »

Hi Natvincat,

I've not heard anything yet but it should be any day now. Are you closer to NH or Crossley?
natvincat

Post by natvincat »

we are nearer to Crossleys, is that the way its usually allocated?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I've just had a quick look through the admissions booklet and doesn't mention how the test centres get allocated but I believe it is usually the closest school.

It also states the letter is due to be sent out a week before the test, so it could arrive today! At this time, both parents and children have had enough and just want to get it over with. I expect everyone is feeling a bit twitchy by now. :lol:

This will be the last year that the test will be in December. Next year they're moving to an October date and you'll get the results back in time to fill in the CAF. It will be much less stressful knowing the results before you fill in the application form.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Update - I can confirm the post should arrive today and is based on proximity to school rather than preference.
natvincat

Post by natvincat »

thanks, postie is due anytime!
FaxFan

Post by FaxFan »

Can't understand why we've been allocated NHGS to sit the 11+ when the form says the school location for the test is based on proximity and we are far closer to CH than NHGS? :?:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

FaxFan wrote:Can't understand why we've been allocated NHGS to sit the 11+ when the form says the school location for the test is based on proximity and we are far closer to CH than NHGS? :?:
The schools both use straight line distance for allocations, so I'm assuming that they are doing the same for the tests. If you're convinced that the distance to CH is closer then it may be worth checking with the school. I'm sure there is a simple explanation but I would want to clarify because distance would be an important factor in the following situation.

"If several pupils satisfy the first order criteria equally, then a range of supplementary criteria will be invoked, in this order:"
NHGS wrote: ...
proximity of the child’s home to the school, with those living nearer accorded the highest priority. Distance will be measured using a straight line measurement from the pupil's home to the closest designated school gate. Distance will be calculated using the Local Authority's Geographical information System (GIS).
CHS wrote:...
(b)To ensure consistency, all measurements will be carried out by the LA’s GIS system and no other method of measuring distance will be considered. Each property has a coordinate taken from Ordnance Survey ADDRESS-POINT data. This is the point which distance measurements will be taken from. If there is shared responsibility between parents, the home will be that place in which the child spends the majority of time in a school week when the school is in session.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Good Luck today.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

A bit late in the day, but hope it's all going/went well for the dc's (and their parents too, of course :) ).