results calderdale

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ghee

Re: results calderdale

Post by ghee »

Hi, our dd ranked 95 with a score of 195, very proud of her! Hope she gets her first choice of NHGS. Good luck to all those who are still awaiting their results.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulations Ghee. So long as NH was first preference on your CAF then you will certainly be offered a place in March.
natvincat

Post by natvincat »

We are doing the happy happy dance as DS placed 174 with a mark of 185. We are hopeful of a place at Crossleys but North Halifax will do just as well - well done Son, all your hard work has paid off - we are so proud of you!! :D
FaxFan

Post by FaxFan »

my lad got ranked 160, first choice CHGS so hope he gets placed there.

might have a drink tonight. :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulations Natvincat and Fanfax. Lots of good news this year. :mrgreen:
Whatnowformarmite

Post by Whatnowformarmite »

Hi everyone, well what a day...to be honest we were not expecting the results until next week. We dropped dd off at dancing and when we collected her some others had received their results. Both my wife and I were surprised but managed to remain low key and cool on the outside so as to not put too much pressure on dd but, as you will all know, on the inside we were on fire! Dd seemed very cool about the whole thing which was good. Back home we checked the mail and of course there it was. We'd agreed that dd would open the letter and so she did, with much excitement. At that point I thought and I am sure the wife was thinking the same: this is the culmination of literally months of hard work by dd, but by us all but of course you all know that. All our fingers were crossed. And then there it was in black and white: 160.1 & rank 360. Both dd & my wife were soaking up what ths meant but I knew immediately. My whole body sunk, just like when we all receive bad news and I explained the outcome to the girls. It wasn't long before the tears then came. What do you say other than it doesn't matter but of course eleven year olds are getting wise too!

Very, very sad at this point but we will pick ourselves up. What we won't do is think about reallocation as surely at 360 it cannot hapen, can it?

Those who have not passed get today: keep well, we know what you are going thru. Those who have passed: really well done guys, you have done it!

Those who are thinking of the eleven plus for your dc: think long and hard. It is emotional to say the least. At the end of the day it is a cruel, cruel system and the competition is as competitive as anything I have ever come across. The margins between success and failure are just so fine and this is the future of an eleven year we are talking about. Think hard and make the right call.

What a day. Let's hope we feel better in the morning.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Dear Whatnowformarmite,

Sorry to hear that the results were not all you'd hoped for. I really don't know how much movement there will be post offers and I'm sure that it changes from year to year. In 2009 it had reached position 359 by June but I don't have any further or more recent information. See post from Anxious1 http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... s1#p114818" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is a very tough and competitive exam and I hope you both feel a little better tomorrow.
Conseils

Post by Conseils »

You never know.....

Up to 60 or so incorrectly fill out the local authority form, of this statistically at least some will be in the '360'.

Some will have sat the exam for CH and other schools; we met a person leaving the exam who had done so.

We know of some children with excellent results who preferred the local school. Certainly our local school seems to be fantastic with dedicated staff, excellent facilities and achieving pupils. It was hard to decide to put our son through what has been a truly gruelling process for all of us. He would be leaving his friends built up during his junior school experience. If he decided not to sit the test or to take a place, I will respect the decision if that's what makes him happy.

My eldest son, in a different educational system asked me, "Is it better to be at the bottom of the year above or the top of the year below?". What would you have said? I had to be honest "being in the right place is the only place". I truly thought I had done the right thing at the time, looking back I think I might have done things differently but I will never get that chance. All I can say is that WE supported through bad and good and will through that yet to come.

On the journey, the question is, what was learnt on the way? The knowledge, the experience, the hard work will never leave him or her and whilst it might be a great place, it may be the worst for reasons you don't yet know.

One way or the other the best IS yet to come, you may find yourself in another country in a years time and wonder what it was all for! You have supported them thus far and the road is yet long, no matter what path is followed.

The great thing these days is that the 11 plus is NOT the last and only opportunity and in this I do speak from personal experience.
dorisbabs

Re: results calderdale ranking

Post by dorisbabs »

Hi everyone, congratulations to all who are in, and my thoughts are with those who are not. I have one question I am hoping someone can answer. RANKING - is this self explanitory, am I being dim. 310 places across the 2 schools, therefore ranking of 1 to 310 will be offered a place???????? Or am I way off.

Thanks for your help in advance.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Places will be offered in rank order, however it will depend on the preferences you listed on your Common Application Form. From the preferences you listed you will be offered the highest preference school for which you qualify. So as Conseils has mentioned, some children will be taking up places elsewhere and the rank offers will go beyond 310.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now