Go to navigation
It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:06 pm 

I know some people choose one or the other because it's nearer to where they live, but some people have very firm opinions about which one they prefer. What are the differences, if any, and what are people's experiences of the two schools?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:58 am 

There is some help with choosing schools here. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... g-a-school

I'm sure most people would be very happy with either school. I would put distance/ease of access at the top of the list and then decide which school was the best fit for your child.

I assume at this late stage you've already listed your preference on your CAF.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:44 pm 

Our DS loved North Halifax - and so did I - although it's further to travel. He ended putting North Halifax first even though it's a long trek from where we live. It was a difficult decision and of course he would be happy with either. He said he thought North Halifax had a nice 'feel' to it, and the open evening was fantastic - loads of hands-on stuff to do, which really caught his imagination.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:37 pm 

Quote:
Our DS loved North Halifax - and so did I
Yes - I know where you're coming from! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:45 pm 

2011 school league tables just published, not much between the 2 again.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:32 am 

The GCSE results are similar but Crossley Heath's A Level results seem much better, unless I'm interpreting the tables incorrectly. Wouldn't choose a school based purely on league tables though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:28 pm 

Was it just me or did NHGS look in need of TLC. The HT was pretty clear he was disappointed by the level of funding they received; 10th
worst in the country or something. is the lack of funding taking its toll? Didn't get that impression from CHS.

Just my view...what do you all think?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:10 am 

Funding at NH has been an issue for a long time and some of the buildings look in need of repairs.

OFSTED Report 2007 wrote:
Funding of the school is comparatively low. This limits the extent to which improvements in accommodation can be made and places particular burdens on the capacity of the senior leadership team. . . The school provides excellent value for money.

When I went to the open evening I thought a lot of improvements had been made since I first looked around in 2008. :shock: It is going to be interesting to see if new government funding plans or academy status improves the financial situation at NH. As you mention,I believe NHGS was 10th lowest funded GS in the country last year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 pm 

I thought the NHGS open evening was fantastic - I even emailed the head teacher the following day to say how impressed we had been. There was so much going on and everybody - staff and pupils - was so friendly and helpful. Crossleys was great too but just didn't have the same "buzz" about it, at least for our son.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:17 pm 

I have never considered either of these schools as it would be a tricky journey for DS without being driven.
Though out of curiousity :roll: how far do they offer places out? We live 6 1/2 miles away.