Appeals for EGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
FluffyD

Appeals for EGS

Post by FluffyD »

Not for me though, our turn isn't until next year!

A friend of mine lives in the same town as me, just over 10 miles away from EGS, her son got just under the pass mark (10 marks away) and they are going to appeal, school writing a letter of support etc.

Does anyone know the likelyhood of this being upheld this year?

Hermanmunster? You seem so be a font of all knowledge regarding Skipton schools! Can you shed some light on this?

Best wishes,
x
Vic x
hermanmunster

Re: Appeals for EGS

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi FluffyD!

Your friend is going to have to appeal for non qualification as her DS was under the passmark. I have copied the table that shows the numbers of appeals and how many were successful etc:

The selection appeals are quite hard to win, over the last few years at EGS there have been 23,28 and 28 out of area selection appeals - 3,3 & 1 were successful. I don't know how far away from the passmark these were. My knowledge of some of the in area appeals shows that they tended to be pretty close to the passmark 2-3 marks sort of region.

To be successful at appeal you have to demonstrate academic ability and also describe any extenuating circumstances which may explain why her DS did not do as well as he could on the day. May be things that have happened within the family etc - particularly where teachers have noticed a deterioration in the standard of the work during that time. There is a Q&A in appeals explaining the types of info needed - I will find it in a mo.

If you are out of catchment then you may have to appeal for oversubscription also though this it is not clear at present as to whether the school will be oversubscribed.

edit: here is the Q&A on appeals http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Just out of interest, does anyone want to share the highest mark for EGS and how many just missed out on the pass mark?

Agree, my opinion need to be v near to pass mark to even be considered by panel...unless really good reason, but no idea what that would be...something out of this world involving alien invasion... i think.

Q
x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Gogi - I'm not sure there are that many people posting on here to get much idea of the range of marks - also as only a pass is needed to get a place, too much comparison of marks can turn into a boasting contest.

I think the people who are close to the pass mark get told how many children are on each point below the cutoff (if they don't get told then they can ask) - there are often quite a few on each point which can make appeals further away from the passmark less likely to be successful.

I presume on occasions children who are further from the cutoff have got through - I can imagine it must be a scenario of a very well achieving child who perhaps is very unwell and misses weeks off school or a child from a family who have undergone significant domestic or health problems. In any case like this the deterioration in the standard of work would be clearly seen by the primary school staff who would see a child slipping from the top of the class to a position well down the class.
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Thanks for that, Certainly didn't want to encourage a boasting frenzy, interested to see how many children who didnt reach cut off, and how far they were from pass mark. Possibly get an idea of appeals? Sadly every upheld appeal could have an impact on DS getting a place, but thats the way it is.

The fail letter gives a great deal of detail from scores of all children taking the test to the breakdown of your childs marks. Luckily this year it was good news..but for anyone out there who got a large bulky letter I completely understand your dissapointment because we've also been there !

Q
x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Are they different letters? The year DD did the test, the post office went on strike an in area schools gave the letters out at school and OOC had to go to the water street building to collect letter. All letter looked the same to me - we had to go there as school was OOC even though we lived in catchment. Am glad they were the same - would have been awful for everyone collecting envelopes at the same time..
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Yes,

Pass get a single sheet in a long envelope and fail get the how to appeal bundle as well as the letter and A5 size envelope. How awfull would that have been if they were giving them out?

I would have imagined that the LEA that particular year may have ensured all envelopes looked the same?

Q
x
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Gogi, the thicker envelope certainly was the case in the past, believe me I know. However, it is no longer true. All get the single sheet. Appeal forms etc now need to be downloaded from the NYCC website.
Bougalou
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Well thats a good thing, and that must have been the case from this year then. Atleast that way you can open the envelope for the result and not find out from the size of the envelope!

Q
x
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

I agree, unfortunately we had three of the dratted thicker ones!
And.... yep - one in the year when the post was on strike - but collected from school, not the LEA office, - wasn't so bad, - being a Skipton school only one girl got through that year so we all had thick envs :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now