At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
janet71

At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to....

Post by janet71 »

I am doing work with my DS for this Sept - With regards to VR he has no probs with the Bonds 11+ green book and all going well with a few new words each day....so we moved onto the CGP tests and Letts (think thats now GL) and they are much harder - infact I even struggle on the Letts test papers with words like camponology, copse, coppice and my DS now seems a little deflated. There seems to be a big difference between them and I know we have 6 months but I am a little worried. We are learning all these new words and the sheets I downloaded from this forum and adding as we go but I wonderd at what level is the EGS paper pitched. I read on the VR threads (think it was referring to Birminghams entrance exam) and they mentioned words in the test that I would think too advanced for a 10yr old (eg inaugurate, unorthodox, flamboyant, gregarious, antiquity) Any advice on what words to learn? I dont want to overload him but wondered if there was any direction we should aim for.
hermanmunster

Re: At what level is the EGS entrance exam in comparison to.

Post by hermanmunster »

I'm not sure Janet.

I can't think either of mine would have known the meaning of several of those in year 5 or 6... (or 7-8 for that matter :oops: ) though for other reasons they understood Campanology :lol:

Maybe one of the parents who has taken it more recently (Tricky or Gogi) may be able to help?

Edit ....I mean whose DC's have take it more recently :roll:
janet71

Post by janet71 »

thanks herman - I guess you do a bit of bell ringing then?

I wonder also if I am using the correct material - perhas Tricky and Gogi can help with that also - Like I mentioned we are working through Letts. CGP & Bonds practice papers and just ordered IPS yesterday - My theory being the more different tests he is familiar/exposed with the better.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Yes it would help to use the right material though when it comes to vocab then can never be a bad thing to expand it as much as poss.

When DS took the test we were living a long way away, he didn't any extra tutoring just what they were doing in school in the way of VR and NVR for the local indies in the area - I remember him having Bond books then but not really anything else - though they may have had them in school.

The one thing I do remember specifically is that someof the exam is broken up into 10 min chunks and they have to finish those and check them within the time with no going back to them later. Can be a bit disconcerting if they aren't ready for this
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Thanks Herman - My son did a paper in the 11+ Bond tonight (think he wanted a confidence boost) and he got 99% so Im chuffed if you are saying that this is what they were working with but Ill keep going with the others and build on what we are doing...
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

My DS is doing the Skipton test in September as well, I was told that the GL Assesment books are the nearest type to what is taken so maybe have a look at them?
Vic x
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

I'm here!!! :lol: :roll: :oops: 8) :lol:

Happy to share my experience with you...but dashing off to work, will post this weekend, you are doing a marvelous job Janet71....speak soon

Im still celebrating...whoop whoop!!!X
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Cheers Gogi!!

That will be great if you can pass on your more recent experience. TBH I am just utterly clueless about what they use to prep for the exams - we were miles away when DS did it and was whatever he was doing at school at the time + a potentially risky belief that he would be OK anyway :roll: :lol: :lol:
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Yes we all hope they will "be ok" my DS is a bit of a defeatist and so going back to the bond book gave a little boost and I try to look ahead at the tests now Im giving him for words I know he wont know and pop them on the list to learn inadvance so not to knock his confidence as he easily doubts his ability and that worries me on the day....but we can only try our best. Am I right in thinking the GL are the rebranded letts? When I was on Amazon I think I read that in the reviews that they had been ripped off by thinking it was different- If so crikey they are harder but he understands the methods its just the meaning of words so if I can get them in his vocab over the next 6 months then fingers crossed. You never know whats on the day.....Anyone know what the format is for the tests eg 1 x 50min test or as herman mentioned about smaller tests....
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Just looking back on some comments from previous years:
snowdrops wrote:, in the NVR he can't go back. It really is a rapid fire paper.

With the VR he can go back. There is a school of thought that, should a dc be running out of time then they should tick (for instance) all answers as being 'a' or 'b' (or c or d etc) as percentage wise (depending on how many questions are left of course) you're bound to get 3/4 right. THEN if time permits, he can go back.
Snowdrops wrote:
The Skipton tests are the same tests as Ripon (but different pass mark!). From memory the NVR is 80 questions in four sections of 20 questions, each section is 10 minutes long and no going back once a section is completed. But I could be wrong, it's almost 2 years (eek) since my dd did hers.

The VR I really can't remember :shock: , something like 125 questions, but Herman will be along shortly and put me right. If not I'll ask dd if she remembers when she gets in tonight. You can always ring the LEA in Harrogate, they're very helpful.

The top score you can get is 280 but as for standardisation, well, I think you need a degree to understand it, but rest assured your dd will be awarded the extra marks due to her age.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now