SGHS test - tough one?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: SGHS test - tough one?

Post by hermanmunster »

Comes down to whether you think the local kids are actually any different from the ones from OOC? :wink:
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

I guess the reasoning could be that more kids from OOC may (on average) be tutored for VR and NVR than in area kids (not sure if that's true, but I guess if you're OOC you make a deliberate choice so it may be the case). And by making the test cover more of the stuff they do in school then it may make it slightly more likely that in-area girls will pass.

Don't know if that's the case, but my mate said that is definitely one of the objectives for the change (and not just the £100k the county were going to charge them to run the tests for them!).
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Congratulations to your DC. :D
andy from embsay

Thanks - v relieved!

Where are urs going?
panicmum

Post by panicmum »

Hi A-F-E, we are hoping for NHGS it's my DD's first choice.
andy from embsay

Well good luck. The Fax system is even more stressful i guess - at least in skipton if you pass you're in if you're in area.

Although the letter we got today said more have passed than they have places, so presumably there'll be some OOC girls who pass but won't get in.
Majik

Post by Majik »

We seem to have the same issue with CRGS more people passed then places available. But we got our results yesterday. I know one of the boys whos in my sons class did Skipton exam but also sat the clitheroe exam. He's got a sibling at Skipton, not that ever matters because it is all about catchment areas etc.

My son passed his CRGS exam but is on the waiting list now.

Congratulations to your DC done very well. These local authority run grammar schools are very tough to get into. So much competition. When I dropped my son off at clitheroe there was a boy in a car opposite the road throwing up. My son told us about another boy who started crying midway through the exam. My son couldn't sleep and woke up in the middle of the night crying. My sons very high up on the reserved list so it's almost like having one foot in the door. But in your situation at least you know and my deepest heartfelt congratulations.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Majik - I think after catchment for EGS, the siblings are next ? then distance - unless it has changed ...
Majik

Post by Majik »

Well first of all he needs to get his results which from what I gather on this thread will be towards the end of this week. But then saying that Clitheroe told me on Monday that the results will be towards the midde of this week and we got it yesterday.

I'll know more towards the end of the school day when my son comes back. If this lad has passed both exams and he decides to follow his sibling to EGS then that puts my lad 3rd in the reserved list.

The other issue we have as any parents do, where does your child want to go. I know one lad from my sons class who lives in barrow so well within the catchment area,he sat the CRGS exam but his dad was saying he wasn't happy about leaving his friends at westholme and may want to stay on if the majority of boys in year 6 go to the new boys senior school.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

can imagine it is difficult if friends are staying on at senior school, though you may well find that many parents who get an offer of a good state school place at this stage may take the option instead of paying fees for many years. Am sure you will find that more people are not actually going to take up the places and may well be going elsewhere.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now