EGS results are out!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: EGS results are out!

Post by hermanmunster »

What it means is that if you get Skipton and Clitheroe you have to put them in the order you genuinely want. Clitheroe's OOC is on rank order and EGS is on distance.

If you put:

1 CRGS
2 EGS

and aren't able to be offered CRGS on score you may get EGS on distance

similarly :

1 EGS
2 CRGS

here if EGS don't reach out that far (and I suspect it isn't going to be far across the county boundary this year? ) then you may still get a CRGS place on score, but only of EGS can't take you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

beeelaine wrote:no it didnt say how many took the test in or out of catchment, but last year i think someone got in just over 10 miles away so its a waiting game (sigh)

yes 10 miles in recent years would have been fine but that was when there were very few passes over the 112 - I haven't seen so many passes before.

Will find the data re numbers and distance in a mo...

have a look at this post:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... nt#p264531" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

edited to add: UGH! :(
beeelaine

Post by beeelaine »

thank you HM do you know how they measure the distance from the school to home? i know its the way its done but to be honest would be gutted if he didnt get in, he got a score of 256 and we only started practising those tests a couple of weeks before as i didnt want to pressure him x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

that is a great score Beelaine!

I am sorry that they don't do it on ranking any longer and now go on distance. the Girls school had been using distance for some time and consequently it seemed odd for them to different and also they were finding some boys were travelling huge distances to school each day - it can really take a toll on them.

I think that all you can do is put the school on the list if you want it to be your first choice - it won't affect your chances elsewhere - there is always the option of appealing too if you don't get a place.

The measurement is done :
Distance will be measured in a straight line from
their home postcode to the postcode of the School using an electronic mapping system
- don't know which package they use though...
janet71

Post by janet71 »

My ds also got 256 so of course over the moon, we live about 8 miles so fingers crossed, but as mentioned on another thread i read they opened it to lancashire this yr as they were not filling all the spaces with the passmark, which took it in the morning so evethough there is a high pass rate we don't know how many are in that batch....so infact it may not be any different but just looks more...if you know what i mean....
Last edited by janet71 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beeelaine

Post by beeelaine »

thanks HM and well done janet on your sons score too! i think its just a sit and wait and hope! ive tried on a few sites and our postcode distance ranges from 8.2 to 10.6! lol so it depends which system they use for measurement x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Cheers bee you too... i just resorted to a map and ruler lol x seems such a long time to wait just wish it was on passmark not distance but i would say that x :D
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

hermanmunster wrote:
yes 10 miles in recent years would have been fine but that was when there were very few passes over the 112 - I haven't seen so many passes before.

edited to add: UGH! :(
My point exactly! :( I am not holding out much hope .
I think that you are right with the girls raising the barr HM and it has done me no favours what so ever!
Vic x
FluffyD

Post by FluffyD »

hermanmunster wrote: ...pity they aren't going on rank order, Fluffy, as they used to as that is a crackingly good score!
I am just glad that my home tutoring worked out and I was teaching him the correct things! All thanks to this site as I wouldn't have had a clue where to start.
Now we just need roughly 50 boys that have passed to prefer another school over EGS or emmigrate, thats not asking much is it :roll:
Vic x
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

This website http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; allows you to draw circles at various distances from a point - school postcode is BD231PL

Amazed how many must have taken the exam this year .. only thing I can think is that they are taking other exams and may be from some distance away...
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now