EGS results are out!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Majik

Re: EGS results are out!

Post by Majik »

I take it your from within the catchment area Andy?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Wow, 214, that is a low pass rate! Just be thankful it wasn't a high birth rate year too (as it was in my dd's year).

Congratulations to all those who passed, there'll be an awful lot of nibbled fingers by the time March comes round!

Don't forget though, if you are unlucky you can appeal, so it's not the end of the road by a long chalk. You'd be surprised at how quickly March comes and how much research there is to do. Hopefully it won't come to that for any of you though.
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Majik wrote:I take it your from within the catchment area Andy?
Yep. I have a mate who's a governor at SGHS and he reckons that one objective of changing the exam was to get more in-area girls in - but as Herman has said they also won't want to reduce the standard - but Embsay have never had 100% pass rate from all the years we've had kids there.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It would concern me that the EGS pass mark seems to be lower than usual and if they also drop the passmark for the girls school too then this could have an effect on the standard at the two grammar schools.
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

Not sure if they've deliberately dropped the passmark at the girls school (they said they're still aiming at SATS L5) - my theory is bringing maths and english in makes it a bit more like "normal" school and therefore kids who've not been tutored may have a better chance. As they're not releasing marks to those who pass I guess we don't know how it compares with LRGS, CRGS and LGGS etc who did the same test.

Do we know what the Ripon passmark was? If that was low as well then maybe it's a harder year.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Historically Ripon have always had a lower passmark than Skipton. It will indeed be interesting to see if their marks are lowered too.

I find the 114 passmark to be extremely low. It's usually around low to mid 20's, It does make you wonder what the idea behind it is.

I don't know anyone who took the exam to ask - if anyone's reading and does know the cut off for Ripon, please post it here :D
Patzie

Post by Patzie »

I have got the impression that Clitheroe's pass mark was also low - why would they reduce the pass mark?
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Absolutely marvelous news Fluffy!!!!! and what a result ! :D 8) Cross fingers for March...i take it EGS will be your first choice? :lol:

Well done all who passed...what a fantastic feeling.

x
Gogi

Post by Gogi »

Yes quite shocked at the pass mark, agree that removing the girls could have played a part...but dont understand the objective of trying to get more in area girls into SGGS. Surely the standards will slip? Without OOC kids would EGS and SGGS produce the results they do and have the reputation that they have ?? Its taking the very best from in and out of area?

Gogi
x
janet71

Post by janet71 »

Snowdrops wrote:Historically Ripon have always had a lower passmark than Skipton. It will indeed be interesting to see if their marks are lowered too.

I find the 114 passmark to be extremely low. It's usually around low to mid 20's, It does make you wonder what the idea behind it is.

I don't know anyone who took the exam to ask - if anyone's reading and does know the cut off for Ripon, please post it here :D
I dont think they have lowered the pass mark and perhaps there is something in the fact that the SGHS are now doing seperate exams and as before they did the same and then the top 28% of a combined score gets you the higher 220's - If you look at prev yrs number of boys found suitable 39, 44,43 so the 41 passing this yr with a lower pass score has not achieved a bigger in area intake infact its lower. Do we know how many took the exam this year? Prev yrs (If Im looking at the table correctly) OOC is 198, 169, 188 and only suitable 79, 54, 81 this yr suitable is 118 but my son said about 100+ (counting tables) were at the exam and presumably the same in the morning for Lancashire - what we dont know is how many in the afternoon (of yorkshire) passed - if its 50/50 then I think its pretty good odds in our favour as Lancashire are 10+ miles....Also as mentioned there are other options for some children taking the exam with other grammar schools, also there may be some weight in the thought that some use it for practice as I saw about 12 Ladylane boys (private primary in Bingley) taking the exam and as EGS offers 3 tests it would make sense to get the practice in with them but no intention of taking a place.....Anyway thats how Im reasoning it in my little mind :lol: