1 week to go!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: 1 week to go!

Post by hermanmunster »

suspect that Ilkley is out of the picture anyway this year - (unless they are siblings)
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

hermanmunster wrote:suspect that Ilkley is out of the picture anyway this year - (unless they are siblings)
Yes, but I think he'll be further up the 14 than Janet's son - I think where he is is about 8.5miles (they live fairly near the station) - point being there don't have to be 14 people who turn a place down for it to get to #14.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I think the same as Andy too, 14th on the waiting list is not insurmountable at this stage, not everyone (very strangely to us!)will take up their offered places, although if your son is so very relieved not to be going, I'd be going with making him happy and staying with the second choice school.

Commiserations to all those who didn't get their first choices, been there, done that, wrote the book on it. It does all work,out in the end, no matter how devastated/hurt/upset you may feel now, even though it really doesn't feel like it right now.

Good luck to those still waiting for their results, here's hoping!
beeelaine

Post by beeelaine »

hi Janet, we are 8th on the list, but i still think it would be unrealistic to think he would get in as the lady on the phone said it varies year to year but a lot of people accept places fast but when it comes to declining they seem to take their time, so it would be a few weeks, and also i asked how many places usually got offered to the waiting list and she said in a round about way that it varies but she would imagine that it would only be around a couple of places or so :-(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24&t=19345" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just found this thread were a child was 5th and then went up to 3rd and then got in on appeal
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Waiting places do vary from year to year it's true, but the time taken to rescind places can and do take ages, we waited from the first week in March until the first week of June, with dd being at numer one on the waiting list, and just as we really thought there was no hope (yes, I clung on to hope for that long :shock: , but admittedly it was because we hadn't yet had our appeal hearing) dd got offered a place.

Appeal, you have nothing to lose if its really really your first choice and its what you want.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Quite true - if you don't give it a go, you will always wonder..
beeelaine

Post by beeelaine »

thank you, we are thinking about appealing, i dont mean to be negative about getting in, but that is what the lady said and i dont want to get our hopes up, especially as our son really wants to go there. I have asked for an appeal pack and we will take it from there. I feel sorry for other parents too, as I know of one boy who scored even more than our son but lives further away, it just seems unfair for the boys who have proved that they have the potential to do so well, and i dont mean this disrespectfully but some of the boys who live nearer who have just scraped in with their scores may find it hard to keep up with the workload (and thats both unfair on those and the ones who dont get in).x
andy from embsay

Post by andy from embsay »

beeelaine wrote: some of the boys who live nearer who have just scraped in with their scores may find it hard to keep up with the workload (and thats both unfair on those and the ones who dont get in).x
If that was the case that would mean means the passmark's wrong, doesn't it? The standard is set on the top 28% of in-catchment boys, which for the last umpty years has given them the standard of pupil they want, and I don't think there's necessarily a direct read across from 11+ score to whether they struggle at GS anyway, is there? The alternative is the super-selective approach they have elsewhere that means they just slice off the top 112 scores - which leads to some kids spending hours a day on the bus.

One of the reasons we live near Skipton is so our kids can go to a great school near where they live - and the fact that their friends also live fairly near is also a part of that. I wouldn't want them to either not be able to go to a good school in the town they live in, nor would i want them to asking to be driven to the far reaches of Leeds or wherever because one of their mates lives 25 miles away.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Yep, know exactly where you're coming From Beeline, had the same thoughts myself -we were out of catchment too, but I can also understand and agree with the catchment area criteria too, local schools for local people and all that. It all comes down to good schools for all - life just isn't fair.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now