Heckmondwike Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mitasol

Re: Heckmondwike Test

Post by mitasol »

This is the first year that we have had so many Heckmondwike testers registering so I'm afraid that information is very sketchy. I had a quick look at the admissions booklet which states ..
The school was oversubscribed for September 2013. It is expected the school will be oversubscribed again for the September 2014 intake. Please contact the school direct if you wish to discuss the likelihood of your child qualifying for a place
So contacting the school is likely to be your best bet.
faheej

Post by faheej »

Hi Hrnh,

I have got similar letter with same message as you .
I can't understand are the 161 children the ones who fulfill automatic selection criteria or the ones who don't fulfill the criteria .

By the way DD met the standard but does not come in the auto selection criteria
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

From what I understand there are 161 children who meet the standard but do not fulfil any of the standard criteria ie catchment area , siblings etc. Therefore these will be admitted in merit order up to approx 114 places.
Erin

Post by Erin »

Hi

Do you think it is also safe to assume that some of the 161 children who have passed but do not fufil the automatic selection criteria may take up places elsewhere?
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

I would guess so, I assume that some sat the Halifax exams as well and live closer to those schools, so would choose those first if they qualify.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Bigbirdcw wrote:From what I understand there are 161 children who meet the standard but do not fulfil any of the standard criteria ie catchment area , siblings etc. Therefore these will be admitted in merit order up to approx 114 places.
I've read the admissions policy and seen the information on the HGS site and agree with Bigbirdcw's interpretation. If you are out of the 'automatic selection' you're going have to speak to the school to discuss the likelihood of getting a place. Hopefully they will mention the lowest score offered in the last couple of years.
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

From what I can remember of the Head's talk at the open evening, there are normally only approx 70 places available after those fulfilling the standard criteria have been accounted for so the fact that this year there are 114 such places available has got to be seen as a bonus for those of us trying to get out DC's in!
Erin

Post by Erin »

I would definitely recommend telephoning the school. I spoke with the deputy head and it has totally clarified the situation. :D
Bigbirdcw

Post by Bigbirdcw »

positive for you I hope! We are seeing him on Wednesday!
faheej

Post by faheej »

I agree with Erin speaking to the deputy head at Heckmondwike gives you a clear picture of whether child is getting place or not .

I don't know about previous years and how school have informed parents/ carers. This year , Hecki Grammar is informing number of places to offer and number of candidates reaching the expected standard, which I feel is quite helpful. :D