Halifax Entrant Numbers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
annie321

Halifax Entrant Numbers

Post by annie321 »

Just been told there are 2000 kids taking the Calderdale test this year! Can that be right? Anyone know how many took it last year? It seems to be getting harder and harder to pass each year.
mitasol

Re: 2000 registered for test?!

Post by mitasol »

There are always rumours that hordes of extra children will be sitting the test but the figures have remained fairly static.

Edit to add.

According to the prospectus there were 1150 last year up from 853 the year before. The most likely reason for the increase is the change in the rules whereby results are known before the Common Application form is due. This would mean more parents are prepared to opt-in to the test.
annie321

Re: 2000 registered for test?!

Post by annie321 »

Thanks! That's better than 2000 but still a lot. Fingers crossed. Only 10 days to go.
Duran

Halifax Entrant Numbers

Post by Duran »

Does anyone know how many children entered the Halifax exam this year and in recent years? I have the following based on hearsay:

2013 - 2000 entrants
2012 - 1200
2011 - 900

These figures may be wildly out, but if the general trend is more kids taking part then it's obviously getting harder.

I've merged two similar threads as it is helpful to keep the information together. -Mitasol
mitasol

Re: Halifax Entrant Numbers

Post by mitasol »

Hi Duran,

I don't have figures for this year but would be very surprised if they are around 2000.
yogaguru

Post by yogaguru »

I spoke to admissions today and they indicated around a 1000 children took the test this year - apparently around the same as last year.

I didn't push for the exact figure but around a 1000 seems feasible. Having said that my daughter sat the test at NHGS and I remember thinking that it seemed much busier than when my son took it 3 years ago. Somebody said that around 850 took it around that time which obviously indicates the growth in numbers and consequently the increased competition!

It really puts things into perspective when you think that there are only 310 places available. Afterall, the test only represents a snapshot of how a child can perform on a particular day. For those whose children had a good day - congratulations - for the ones who didn't, I hope your children will continue to thrive in the school you end up choosing.
Duran

Post by Duran »

Thanks to you both.

I've heard 2000 from several people but I guess we're all passing around the wrong information! I'll take 1000 quoted from admissions then instead which is more comforting for next year.

I completely agree with your comments yogaguru.
ZH1

Post by ZH1 »

Hello

Were there 1000 candidates in each school taking exam I.e. 2000 candidates in total?
My daughter did not make it in the top 310 . She was ranked position 349. I have been told she still has a good chance to enter either crossley heath or North halifax grammer as she is between 310 and 370. Does anyone know what numbers have entered in the previous year? I have heard last year those ranked around 360 got a place at one of the 2 schools mentioned above.
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi

Spoke to council who confirmed last year allocations got to 360 so you have a great chance! My DD didn't get in- position 387 - disappointed as her mark would have qualified last year
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

ZF1 wrote:Were there 1000 candidates in each school taking exam I.e. 2000 candidates in total?
  • No - 1000 in total.
twinsmum wrote: Spoke to council who confirmed last year allocations got to 360
  • That is very useful, thanks for posting twinsmum.

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter didn't make it through, particularly with high scores and just below the cut off. It must be very frustrating.

From past experience, children will get over it fairly quickly but it usually takes a little longer for parents. The Forum motto has always been....'Cream always rises to the top'.

Regardless of school, with a caring supportive parent, she will do well wherever goes.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now