Anyone's DC sit the Halifax test on Saturday?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
eviepie123

Re: Anyone's DC sit the Halifax test on Saturday?

Post by eviepie123 »

hanyrose wrote: My question to admin or anyone else who can help is we put down CH as 1st choice and NHG as 2nd. With her ranking of 374 if she does make it through clearing system she is most likely to get NHG. However, with us selecting that as 2nd is someone lower than her in ranking but who has picked it as 1st choice more likely to be offered the place?? If so, i'm tempted to change the preferences b4 the 31st as don't want to lose any chance she has of getting into either one of the two schools.
Hi. I'm absolutely sure not!! Hope I'm right but my understanding is that if DD's first choice is full as they approach her rank, her second choice will become her first choice. A child with a lower rank but NHGS as first choice will not take preference over your DD so long as you have selected both grammar schools in first and second place. The test is for both schools and 374 will always take preference over 375 if both schools have been selected and there are still places available at one or both. Hope that makes sense.
eviepie123

Post by eviepie123 »

Fab reading everyone's posts! Congratulations to those who got what they wanted and commiserations to those who didn't. DD got 16th and is thrilled to be getting her first choice CH. Great 3 children at different schools from next year! :x :roll: :lol:

Glad they are all happy tho!

...honest
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hanyrose wrote:I
My question to admin or anyone else who can help is we put down CH as 1st choice and NHG as 2nd. With her ranking of 374 if she does make it through clearing system she is most likely to get NHG. However, with us selecting that as 2nd is someone lower than her in ranking but who has picked it as 1st choice more likely to be offered the place?? If so, i'm tempted to change the preferences b4 the 31st as don't want to lose any chance she has of getting into either one of the two schools.
If you put CH first and NHG second, then if you don't get CH that will be discounted from your list and NH will become your first choice. the list of those eligible for NH (or any other school) does not have any info about where the school is on your list only where they are on the schools list
Mrswoo

Post by Mrswoo »

The responses on here have been really helpful but does anybody know when the proximity to school/sibling criteria steps in? Or does it for CH/NHGS?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Candidates are admitted in rank order. Proximity and sibling will only be brought into play when two or more candidates share the same score.
https://www.nhgs.co.uk/admissions/admission-at-11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NHGS wrote: If several pupils satisfy the first order criteria equally, then a range of supplementary criteria will be invoked, in this order:

looked after children and previously looked after children;

proximity of the child’s home to the school, with those living nearer accorded the highest priority (as measured by a straight line distance from the pupil’s home to the closest designated school gate. Distance will be calculated using the Local Authority’s (LA) Geographical Information System (GIS). If there is shared responsibility between parents the home will be that place in which the child spends the majority of time in a school week when the school is in session.

pupils with siblings (to include step-siblings, foster siblings and adopted siblings living permanently in the same address) presently attending the school (excluding pupils in their final year).
CH have the same policy http://www.crossleyheath.org.uk/school- ... ures-2013/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Carolync

Post by Carolync »

DD ranked 374. Do we hold out much hope of her getting a place at either of the 2 schools? We picked CH as first choice and NHG as 2nd.

My son ranked 356 with a score of 172. I'm shocked to read that with a score of 5 more some people have ranked in the late 200's I didn't realise it was so close - does anybody think my son stands a chance of getting in? NHGS would be our first choice? Son worked so hard and felt disappointed to not finish the last 4 maths questions which sound to have had an impact on score!
I'm still proud : :P :P
Carolync

Post by Carolync »

mrb wrote:Hi all,

My DS has ranked 278 with a score of 177 so it looks like the competition was tough this year as the score is out of 210 I believe.

Will this guarantee him a place at one of the schools as it says some kids will sit exams later due to illness?

Does anyone have any thoughts on if it will get him a place at Crossley Heath as that is our first choice? My back of a fag packet calculation is in a worst case you would need to be ranked lower than 180 but assuming both schools have equal first preferences then you may be OK. Any ideas on the different popularity of the two schools?

Sorry if I'm nitpicking as a place in either school is an achievement. I have been an avid reader of these forums over the last 4 months as I home tutored and only began in June. Thanks for the advice especially mitasol.
Good luck to your son, my son scored 172 and is ranked 356 so a big difference for 5 points, fingers crossed you get in and hopefully so does my son - the competition is very close when you look at these stats... :? I assume all we can do is list the schools on our CAF?
We had to wait till today's post - nail biting or what?
Sorry but anyone's opinions would be appreciated??
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Hi Carolync,

In previous years offers have gone out to 330s on allocation day and then further with later offers. This year CH are offering an additional 25 places so I would be feeling fairly hopeful with rank 356. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that offers went past 370 last year.
hanyrose

Post by hanyrose »

Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. Reading some of the comments i've discovered those with only half a mark more were ranked almost 20 places higher. DD's response was that of a typical 10yr old, ie 'that's not fair!'
I have one more question/concern. Will those doing the exam at a later date impact on these rankings? Is it possible that DD will be pushed further down?
eviepie123

Post by eviepie123 »

I understand last year with a greater out of area number sitting the exam, reallocation went towards 400 due to an increased drop out. With the extra 25 places this year then I really wouldn't be losing hope at 370-380. As someone else has mentioned, the letters state that children ranking up to 450 would be deemed suitable for grammar school entry. The letter was only recommending 370 when my DS sat it the year before last.