Anyone's DC sit the Halifax test on Saturday?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

eviepie123

Re: Anyone's DC sit the Halifax test on Saturday?

Post by eviepie123 »

hanyrose wrote:Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond. Reading some of the comments i've discovered those with only half a mark more were ranked almost 20 places higher. DD's response was that of a typical 10yr old, ie 'that's not fair!'
I have one more question/concern. Will those doing the exam at a later date impact on these rankings? Is it possible that DD will be pushed further down?
Yes it is possible. That said the numbers should be very few but if you are in a borderline position then obv each placement counts.

The letter does advise that children sitting the supplementary test may affect the current ranking. :(
mrb

Post by mrb »

Carolync wrote: Good luck to your son, my son scored 172 and is ranked 356 so a big difference for 5 points, fingers crossed you get in and hopefully so does my son - the competition is very close when you look at these stats... :? I assume all we can do is list the schools on our CAF?
We had to wait till today's post - nail biting or what?
Sorry but anyone's opinions would be appreciated??
Hi Carol,

It makes you realise how close it is and what a difference a few points can make. 5 points and nearly 80 places difference. One comments also mentioned half a point and 15 places difference.

From the posts it sounds like you have a good chance especially with the extra places. I hope it works out for you.
Twinsmum123

Post by Twinsmum123 »

Hi

You should definately be confident even with rankings in the 370's and 380's and probably even lower.

I know for a fact that on reallocation day in March the last place offered was 380, so 70 places lower than the 310 places. I fully suspect that this year, with more places, places may well be offered out into the 400's , hence the cut off of 450 as the schools know this may well be the case. There are more and more "grammar school tourists" each year who are way out of area but have it as a backup in case they don't pass their local exam or satisfy the catchment criteria...with no such criteria for the Halifax Schools it's a tempting second option.

As to those testing in December, 4-5 passed last year and so rankings may well change.

Hope that helps!
flowers

Post by flowers »

Hi
My DS came position 346 last year. Approximately 80 children who were ill in October sat it in December. I emailed NHGS to find how this would affect the positions. They told me to contact them at the end of January and they would tell me what position my DS was now. He had moved to 350 so it only changed by 4 places. I was offered a place at NHGS straight away on allocation day in March. I was amazed and very relieved. Good luck to everyone waiting.
Also for those wondering what ranking will get you into CH, a child in my son's class came 300th last year and got CH on first allocation!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Thanks for posting flowers - that is very helpful.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now