Calderdale Proposed changes to the Admissions Policy

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mitasol

Calderdale Proposed changes to the Admissions Policy

Post by mitasol »

It appears they are considering changes to the admissions policy and a consultation will run from 1st Jan to 28th Feb 2015 . Changes include the testing arrangements - where Verbal Reasoning has been replaced with English.

The Governors of The Halifax Grammar Schools (The North Halifax Grammar School and The Crossley Heath School) are currently consulting on the Admission arrangements for entry into the schools from September 2016.
The admissions tests will consist of:
a)a nationally validated test in English, supplied by a recognised body such as G L Assessment;
b) a test in Mathematics and
c)a test in continuous writing in English

The full details can be found on the links below
NHGS - https://www.nhgs.co.uk/admissions/consu ... admissions" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CHS - http://www.crossleyheath.org.uk/propose ... on-policy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Updated

Response to the consultation

http://www.nhgs.co.uk/pdfs/consultation ... chools.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; <25-03-2015>
As a result of the consultation process, the Governors of the two Halifax Grammar Schools have decided to delay making changes to their admissions policies by one year, while further consideration is given to a number of the points raised in the consultation period. The policies to be determined and published by the schools by April 15th for entrance to the schools in September 2016 will therefore be the same as the currently determined policies
Hebden

Re: Calderdale Proposed changes to the Admissions Policy

Post by Hebden »

I saw this too. Whilst I am not averse to change it makes it very difficult for current year 5 children due to sit the eleven plus in October 2015. It appears the decision on the contents of the October 2015 exam will not be released until July 2015 , ie the start of the school holidays. This only gives students one month of term time to practise the agreed format, which will not help with nerves at what is already a very stressful time. What does anyone else think?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

As these test cover core subjects in primary schools, children would not need lot of time to familiarise themselves with the test topics.
yorkshiremum

Post by yorkshiremum »

I wonder if they will go down the CEM style route like Heckmondwike etc
shahreen

Post by shahreen »

Hi everyone was here in 2009, son is now in 6 th form at nhgs, other son in in yr5 will do exam later this yr just found out they r changing exam :( just wanted to say hello x
mrb

Post by mrb »

What is the reasoning/rationale behind the change? I would like this explained further to understand the impact.
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I don't believe they have given any reasons for the change.
Erin

Post by Erin »

Hello

Does anybody know:

If the GL English papers contain some VR?

Also, will information relating to the weighting of each component of the test be released soon?

Thank you
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I think everything is up in the air at the moment. :?

Updated - I have added the response t the consultation to the first post in the thread.