How bright for Ermystead?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mumof2bradford

How bright for Ermystead?

Post by Mumof2bradford »

Hi
We hadn't thought about EGS until recently - our son is in Y5 - and I was wondering how bright they need to be to get in. He is doing well in maths, science and all other subjects except English which he finds harder although he is getting better. But he has also had a run of a real mix of teachers and hasn't always made as much progress as he should have with some.

We had a go at some of the non-verbal reasoning tests and he seemed to do well in but haven't had a go at the verbal reasoning. We are both secondary school teachers and both got into grammars after doing better further up primary from year 5 and getting in and then both going on to do really well.

We really think the environment and sport will help him thrive - but I am unsure of what to do now. We always assumed he would go to the local comp which is really good but now I am confused - help! We are also out of catchment which I know also has an impact on how well he needs to do.

Any experiences of the EGS exams or advice?

Thanks
hermanmunster

Re: How bright for Ermystead?

Post by hermanmunster »

The required academic standard for entry into Ermysted’s is determined by the Local Authority selection scheme, which uses the NFER tests to define the standard as that achieved by the highest scoring 28% of all Year 6 boys who live within the catchment area
So.. the pass mark is set by the top 28% in area boys, then places are offered OOC according to distance (how far out of catchment are you ?).

ETA - this is worth reading (table half way down) - some years they can offer to all those who pass and sometimes they can only take some of the OOC boys - bit unpredictable ..
http://www.ermysteds.n-yorks.sch.uk/Abo ... ssions.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now