Halifax allocation day!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
annie321

Re: Halifax allocation day!

Post by annie321 »

Yorkybob, NHGS is a fabulous school and I'm sure you'll be very happy with it if your daughter doesn't get a place at CH. Our children chose it over CH and are extremely happy there. I really hope she gets her first choice in the end, but if she doesn't, I think you'll end up being very pleased with the alternative.
Yorkybob

Post by Yorkybob »

My two lads went to NHGS as their first choice so I know about the school.

We've decided not to even bother so she will be following the family tradition. There's only a handful from her school going to CH and no one to NHGS but none of the girls are friends, so from that perspective it made no odds.

The main draw was ease of getting to CH, but ironically the yellow bus works out better for NHGS even though its twice as far.

Good luck to all the kids going to whatever school in 2016.
Erin

Post by Erin »

Hi

Does anybody know how many children sat the test last October?

Thanks
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This post was from October

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24&t=43960" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hebden wrote:Hi Jo, I have an email from Crossley Heath confirming 1,010 students had registered to sit the exam by closing date this year. I also have an email from Calderdale Admissions confirming 994 students sat the exam last year, and "over a thousand" in the previous year. The numbers are therefore fairly consistent each year and nowhere near as high as the rumours! I hope this helps.
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

Still no place for us at reallocation. DD is 3rd on the waiting list for NHGS. So gutted! People keep telling us she'll get a place as she's so close but it doesn't seem to be the case. I wonder how likely it is now that three children will move before school starts in September. Preparing DD to go to Brooksbank.
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

Does anyone know how the appeals process works? On what sort of grounds could we appeal? We feel that from her performance at school and in the practice papers she should have performed much better, compared to other children from her class at school who are very similar academically she should have scored higher as they all got places, could we use this reason? Can we complain about the unfairness of the admissions, why should children be bused in from miles from other local authorities miles away every day when we live on the doorstep, especially when her ranking has been deemed suitable for a grammar school education?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Does anyone know how the appeals process works? On what sort of grounds could we appeal? We feel that from her performance at school and in the practice papers she should have performed much better, compared to other children from her class at school who are very similar academically she should have scored higher as they all got places, could we use this reason?
It must be extremely frustrating to be so close but still waiting.
Etienne wrote: Appeals where places have been allocated in rank order
What sort of case is needed? - 1
  • The issue seems to be something of a grey area!

It makes perfect sense to argue "If you're qualified, you're qualified!"

However, if places are allocated according to score, it also seems to make good sense to try and argue (if appropriate) that your child was expected to score even more highly than he/she did. You would probably need a letter from the current headteacher confirming this, and any other supporting academic evidence.

At an appeal you're entitled (with the possible exception of where a review has already taken place) to put forward any case you wish.

If in doubt, I would suggest putting forward academic arguments as well as reasons for this particular school. It's then up to the appeal panel to decide what to give weight to.
What sort of case is needed? - 2
Do I have to include over-subscription as well? Or just concentrate on non-qualification?
  • It depends why your application was refused.
    • If your child didn't achieve the minimum qualifying score, then you do need to prove academic ability.
    • If places are allocated according to score, you could try and argue (if appropriate) that your child was expected to score even more highly than he/she did - provided that there is sufficient academic evidence to support this.
    • If the school is up to its admission number, you have to explain why you want a place (and why this matters).

If in doubt, cover every angle, and the panel can select the information they need. (Important, though, to set your case out clearly to avoid confusion.)
Can we complain about the unfairness of the admissions, why should children be bused in from miles from other local authorities miles away every day when we live on the doorstep, especially when her ranking has been deemed suitable for a grammar school education?
I don't think this would be productive.

If you are considering an appeal this is a good place to find information
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... m.php?f=35" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

Thanks Mitasol, that's very useful.
flamingogogo

Post by flamingogogo »

Just to update anyone watching that dd has got a place at NHGS- chuffed :D
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Congratulations! :D