Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cleo

Re: Home tutoring

Post by cleo »

Meant in the 'wrong' place.
enigma

Post by enigma »

I agree with Cleo. My DS also made lots of silly mistakes specially in the first few weeks of revising mainly due to carelessness or bad mood but everytime he made a mistake, I allowed him to correct it independently and reflect from it so it won't happen again or at least minimize the frequency.
Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

This post reminds of last year with my my DS, it can be so stressful when DC has a strong character and even refuses to do the papers! Put on your tin hat and be prepared to be a little unpopular just for a few months. My ds actually told me once he had past for the school he wanted that he was pleased I made him work . I started with the GL papers after Easter i was fearful that i might run out of time which creates more pressure .We initally didnt time and only did a third of each VR NVR and maths at weekend then worked through areas of weakness with other books . I did find the nvr in the bond books was easier and quite different to the gl papers and of course Altrincham use gl so it may be a good idea to use gl sooner rather than later. We used to write the answer down on paper and reuse the actual papers a couple of times, i dont think he could memorise them. i did use a tutor for the maths 45 mins a week as i created problems trying explain things i wasnt sure about!! (More tantrums both me and him and my older daughter trying to help! ). susan daughtrey i found to be good for practising VR codes , in fact i have book 3and 4 i have been hoping to pass them on to some poor parent going through this stressful time, pm me your address and i will post them on to you. i think once your DS is getting confident and not too many incorrect say above 70% start with the timing, i was surprised how my ds couldnt complete the paper on time initally after a little while he was fine. I found with my little tyrant allowing him to choose what time in the day we sat down to work (within reason) helped as he felt in control (which he likes!) rather than springing it on him half way through an xbox session. Just to say i am a very disorganised person and at times i felt as if i didnt know if i was coming or going or what subject we should be practising first, dont be to hard on yourself you are not on your own feeling overwhelmed with it all.I think we parents deserve a medal for our hard work. Now i am feeling quite stressed at the thought of it all over again!!!! Good Luck
Olliesmum

Post by Olliesmum »

Hi Wilmslowmum - could you tell me whether or not Urmston and St Ambrose are doing GL papers format? These two are the schools my DS will be sitting for in September, so I just want to tailor our study to their exact papers! I don't know how much time we should spend on the creative writing piece for Urmston...as it's only looked at for borderline cases. Does anyone remember what sort of "Titles" are given as choices for the creative writing? Surely they will be similar each year, to ensure the a fair chance year upon year??
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Sorry Olliesmum I don't have a clue re Urmston as my ds didn't sit it. As for St Ambrose they use Moray House. I don't think they have practice papers. The English paper is very vocabulary based according to my DS.
santanur

Post by santanur »

Which are the best book to follow to learn the basics of Maths according 11+ Syllabus?

I have another question some school have Creative Writing , is it a essay, paragraph writing?
cleo

Post by cleo »

Hi Santanur,

I have been using Schofield and Simms Mental Arithmetic books. DS has nearly finished Book 4 and will probably start Book 5 alongside 11+ papers after the Easter Holidays.
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

I also was wondering about the creative writing on the Alti boys test, maybe it would be a good idea to practise a story at home before doing the test, or do they give the boys a subject to write it on?? The writing is worrying me almost as much as the tests, not my son's forte, haha!!
santanur wrote:Which are the best book to follow to learn the basics of Maths according 11+ Syllabus?

I have another question some school have Creative Writing , is it a essay, paragraph writing?
Vicster

Post by Vicster »

The children are given a title for the creative writing and they have to write about that. If you are going to practise for the creative writing concentrate on things that can be used regardless of the essay topic : openers, connectives, plot, use of adjectives, adverbs, punctuation etc. concentrate on writing as much as possible in the time allowed but writing with accuracy and clarity and with a clear beginning, middle and end.
We didn't practise at all for the creative writing due to being out of catchment but we would have done something if we had been in catchment.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now