tutors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cleo

Post by cleo »

Hello Tiddlymum
the exam this week if for Sale. My DS is sitting Sale, however after Alty Stretford is going to be my next preference.
I have reassured my DS that I am proud he sat the Alty test but like yourself I am not hopeful. I don't feel he is isn't able enough to attend but of the sheer number that sat and in addition like yourself we are outside the area.

Good luck for next week and let me know how he got on in both exams.
caz

Post by caz »

my son has done the alty ,st ambrose and he's doing the sale but i dont hold much hope either due to how many have sat them,and its bad because im not in the catchment ,so even if he did pass he might not got offered a place ,if this does happen i'm putting him for the manchester grammer.good luck to everyone tomorrow,
NotAPushyMum

Post by NotAPushyMum »

If your child gets the required mark and you live in the specified post codes how likely is your child to get a place? I realise that if they are oversubscribed it then goes to distance from the school, but I wonder how likely it is that the school has to administer the distance rule?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi NAPM

You need to consult each schools website. Some are on catchment and some use other criteria instead or in addition.

Good luck!!
caz

Post by caz »

outside the catchment its gos to highest pass mark,so as my son go's to a school in trafford he has to get a higher mark then his classmates !!!!!!!!!! :twisted: :evil:
Littlelambxx

Post by Littlelambxx »

Hi I'm a newbie!! Not a pushy mum, at the open evening for Alty boys the deputy head said that so far over the previous years every 'in catchment area' boy that had passed had been offered a place. First thought I had was that not many must actually pass!!! However I'm certain that after the amount of boys sitting the exam this year the old ruler will surely have to come out??!!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

I don't think the number of applicants was anything out of the ordinary, unless someone knows different.

There will be a lot of children who sat the exam who would not attend even if they passed as destined for Manchester Grammar, local Grammar etc.

Everyone who passes in area would get a place, if they want one ( and I think this is completely fair). Then for the rest of us its based on score.
caz

Post by caz »

due to the fact that alty boys is going a bit down hill with results and sale is on the up with results,alty boys are going to take the highest marks,thats way they have asked some boys to leave because they results are dropping.i dont really think the old ruler counts for much!!!!!!!!!!if they get 2 kids out the catchment but both with the same postcode i'm sure their going to take the kid with the higher mark
Snoopysbestfriennd

Post by Snoopysbestfriennd »

Stretford also has excellant results considering that they are classed as in 'speacial measures' !! makes you wonder.

The crowds were horrific at all the exams, Urmston did seem to have it all resonably under control and sale was just beyond belief, they ran over 1 hour late, apparently due to kids needing the toilet :) :) :)

Previous page has been asking whether we have had a tutor for our children, well I have and started in yr 4. School we attend does nothing, teachers had been on long term sick and supply teachers used. we felt the need to do something and put some consistancy back into their lives. Kids are clever (have twins) but in different areas, son loves Verbal and Maths, while daughter loves Non verbal only!!!! so thats going to be a sticky wicket. The tutor has helped, my dad has helped and I have helped, I guess we all have our own areas of expertise and we have tried not to put any pressure on at all, to the point were even on the exam day I said that they didnt need to sit the test at all. :idea: They have watched over the last few weeks, children sobbing throughout the exams and really stressing cos they didnt finish papers, I just didnt want them going the same way.

However, daughter very determined to go to alti girls, so we now have the dreaded wait....... son will go anywere that will ahve him. but NOT our local as dreaded school bully heading that way, so we are staying tottally clear of that.

Well lets hope we are all lucky in one way shape or another.
cleo

Post by cleo »

I could not believe how badly organised the Sale exam was. A lot of parents didn't know why they were two queues.

I know many parents who have children attending Stetford and they all rate it very highly. Children do acheive and more importantly they enjoy attending. Stretford is going to be my second choice after Alty only because Alty is a single sex school. But if anyone knows any different please let me know why I shouldn't send my DS to Stretford. It's nearer than the rest (but not by that much).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now