Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
muma2

Re: State Schools Low pass rate

Post by muma2 »

NVR/ VR and Maths
creative writing if a review case.

In my opinion, all assessments and reports should be given in and a headteachers opinion should be noted.
Books should be looked at. They have a year to do this for goodness sake!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

maybe they should just stick to VR and NVR - that would help
muma2

Post by muma2 »

You can train a child to pass VR/Non VR. Non VR in particular,it is not, as some people claim, an exam that can detect natural intelligence- especially today.

We have had an unfathomable Maths curriculum since Labour took over all those years ago. Get back to the basics. Maths [four rules of], Reading [ DECENT books], comprehension, spelling, grammar and CREATIVE WRITING!

It would be win win for me...the kids wouldn't be so confused and it would allow the grammar schools to finally get those kids in who will be able to cope with their VERY difficult curriculum.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

comprehension, spelling , grammar and creative writing are all taught in state schools, they are part of the primary curriculum. Writing is taught in a far more structured way than it was when I was in Junior School (which was from 1964 to 1968), children are taught to use different types of writing for different purposes , they study different genres and work on the structure of stories.

Maths is more than just the four rules of number and an understanding of number is very important. I am agraduate chemist with a third of my degree being applied maths and I am happy with the numeracy strategy.
muma2

Post by muma2 »

Have you taught?
Have you taught in a state school and prep school and seen the difference.
I am not saying for the future...I am saying for an exam!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Writing is badly taught in state primaries. Infact mine never seem to do it and KS2 results are proof. The picture is much more depressing for boys.

http://www.dcsf.gov.uk/rsgateway/DB/SFR ... ndex.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The percentages of pupils achieving Level 5 in the 2010 Key Stage 2 tests by subject are as follows:

* English 33% (40% for girls, 26% for boys)
* Reading 51% (56% for girls, 46% for boys)
* Writing 21% (26% for girls, 15% for boys)
* Mathematics 35% (32% for girls, 37% for boys).
Impossible is Nothing.
mad?

Post by mad? »

muma2 wrote:Have you taught?
Have you taught in a state school and prep school and seen the difference.
I am not saying for the future...I am saying for an exam!
But that's the point isn't it? State schools are not allowed to teach for the exam. I agree the selection method is flawed but changing the subject matter would just allow prep schools to teach to a different test. Perhaps the CEM approach in Birmingham is succeeding in getting around this? Well, at least trying?
IMO anything which gets rid of teaching to the test has to be a good thing, as it is a complete waste of a child's time, but perhaps a necessary evil given the current selection process?
mad?
muma2

Post by muma2 »

Mad? I was the one that started the post...and have said that since the beginning.

All a complete waste of time for me as a mother and for my kids!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

please respect others opinions and yes I have taught!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Prep schools do what they say on the tin. They prep kids to pass exams. Yes, a high proportion of the kids at the local preps will have passed the grammar exams in Trafford. They don't usually take up many of the places though, as usually they use the grammar exams as practice exams for the Manchester Grammar, Withington and Man High exams after Christmas. Those that do take up places at the grammars tend to be at the two Altrincham grammars, and at Loreto and Ambrose (the latter two of which both have their own private prep so it's hardly surprising).

My kids' state primary appears to have a similar rate of passes for the grammars this year as in all other years - one or two surprise fails but one or two surprise passes as well.

For the sake of statistical evidence, I would also add that in my daughters' classes at AGGS there are only 2/29 and 3/29 ex-prep pupils, which is hardly overwhelming.

Also for the sake of completeness I would say that, whilst the state schools are maybe not supposed to prep for the exams, quite a few do.