Girl only schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gatley

Girl only schools

Post by Gatley »

Hi Guys,

What "girl only" schools are their in the Trafford area apart from ALY ?

Is Loretto a state funded grammar?

Thanx.
TIDDLYMUM

Re: Girl only schools

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I think Loreto is state funded.

The other girls school is Flixton girls high in Flixton. Can't think of any others off top of my head.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

http://www.schoolsnet.com/uk-schools/sc ... 12146.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

not sure if this is the one ( i am based in East Kent..)
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Yes, Alty Girls and Loreto (both grammars) and Flixton Girls (secondary).

I am sure you are aware that Loreto is Catholic so it's not just a case of passing the exam. (Unlike Ambrose, the boys' Catholic grammar, you pretty much have to be in one of the Catholic categories to get into Loreto.)
Havetoknkow

Post by Havetoknkow »

Why is Ambrose different?
Gatley

Post by Gatley »

Thanks for your comments - all very useful.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Havetoknkow wrote:Why is Ambrose different?
Well, in theory it is not different in that it is a Catholic grammar and therefore wants bright Catholic boys to fill its places. In practice (and we've touched on this in the past week in a couple of the other threads here), it doesn't tend to fill all its places with Catholics and takes some non Catholics as well.

Because of that you find that some local parents will get their (non-Catholic) sons to take the Ambrose exam, especially if they are unlikely to pass Alty Boys or Sale.

Loreto doesn't have the same profile. It can fill its places with Catholic girls. You don't find the local parents putting their non-Catholic daughters in for the Loreto exam as a potential extra choice because, effectively, it isn't a choice.

Having said that, we aren't talking huge numbers of non-Catholics at Ambrose - I was just trying to make the point to the OP (badly, obviously!) that just because he may have read other threads where we mention Ambrose takes non-Catholics, he shouldn't assume that Loreto does the same. I have no idea whether he is Catholic or not, but I'm sure you get the point.
Gman

Post by Gman »

There is also Culcheth Hall which is an independent girls school. It is small compared to the others, though only has ages 11 - 16, so no A-Levels.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now