Go to navigation
It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:12 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:45 pm 

Hello
I am glad my dd passed AGSG, I am sure there are lots of parents whose children did well too and congratulations to you all!
I would like forum's opininion about advantages and disadvantages of AGSG vs Withington or Manchester High school for girls. I know it costs over 1000 poundsa month in independent schools. Are these schools academically much better than say AGSG and in what other aspects better? I get mixed messages from my colleagues. One colleague strongly recommends withington, other mentioned that they are pushy and AGSG are relaxed.
I know that there are some parents who might have thought about it and who are thinking which school is better for their dd or ds. thanks
jr1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:11 pm 

They are 3 very good schools and I don't really think you could go wrong with any of them.

Academically, Withington got 96.34% A*/A/B grades at A Level this year, compared with Man High's 92.66% and Alty Girls' 92.5%.

At GCSE, Withington got 96.4% A*/A grades, compared with Man High's 86.9% and Alty's 86.8%.

Withington has the reputation for being the uber academic school. The girls I know who go there certainly complain that they get a lot more homework than their Alty counterparts, especially in the early years, and I have heard that the pressure to achieve is intense.

If your daughter is sporty then I would say pick Man High or Alty, because Withington is a team who Alty usually always beat at everything, whereas with Man High it is honours even.

I will be honest and say that my girls go to Alty and I love the school. They did not take the exams for either of the indies - we live in Altrincham and I wanted the girls to go to a local school, if possible. They walk to and from school and that, together with the saving of £70,000 per girl, the fantastic results AGGS gets, the sporting success and the musical opportunities, makes me very happy.

If we lived closer into Manchester then I suspect I would have gone for Man High over Withington just because it has always struck me as a more well-rounded school than Withington, but then that's possibly because I see Man High as the indy version of AGGS - at a high cost, though!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:22 pm 

Thanks trafford mum for useful info. 8)
it is interesting to note that all the 3 have excellent results, marginally withington has better academic results. alty is better for sports
jr1