grammar school review/appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
catmum

Re: st ambrose appeal for non-qualification

Post by catmum »

thanks for the support anxious loreto mum, it is appreciated.
to sensible - I know the school would be best for my son, which is why i have posted for advice and presumably why many other parents also do so (some successfully) as highlighted in the appeals section of the forum.My eldest daughter only just scraped into loreto , at the time I was concerned she may struggle and wondered if it was right thing for her, but she is now in year 9 and has improved amazingly, top sets in all subjects, not sure she would have done so well at high school.
I personally feel its worth a shot for my son, but am realistic about low chance of success and have made him aware of this too, but there is nothing to lose by trying!
Sensible

Post by Sensible »

Appeals!!! lol Where do you draw the line?.....Failing to get in if you failed by 5 points, 6 points, 7 points............ Where does it end? Accept it! It's not fair on the others who have successfully passed. If your appeal is successful then someone else will loose their place. IT'S NOT FAIR!!!
yunny

Post by yunny »

To Catmum, you appeal as missing out by just 5 marks is very frustrating. My son sat alty and passed for in area, however, we are out of area and sadly he did not score high enough. If I was in your position I would definitely appeal especially as its ONLY 5 marks.

To Sensible, why are you so uptight about this missing out by only a few marks, its not that easy to just get over it especially when your child has his/her heart set on attending that school.
Last edited by yunny on Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Sensible

Organisations that set 11+ papers would never claim that the results of their tests are entirely reliable.

An appeal panel is able to examine all the available academic evidence, and anyone who has been through the process will know what a very rigorous process it is. A child who is deemed qualified as the result of a successful appeal is just as worthy of a place.

I'm not quite sure why you think it's taking a place away from another child, because if the school is undersubscribed, then by definition there's a vacancy; and if it's oversubscribed, a successful appeal is a permitted addition to the admission number.
Etienne
Sensible

Post by Sensible »

My son has passed the exam......but that does not guarantee him a place, does it? If he fails to get in because your son and others have appealed..then that's not fair..You will be taking places of the successful. Places are limited..... so it should be based on those who passed FIRST time!
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Appeals are not until after allocation day. So no, you won't lose your place. Appeal places are granted in addition to the published admission number unless there are unfilled places.
sillyjolly

Post by sillyjolly »

I think Sensible is worried because it sounds like her son is the bottom of the admission criteria and doesn't want a Catholic boy from the catchment area trying his luck with an internal review because her son could lose out. It need not get to an appeal if the internal review deems him good enough. I think they look at the creative writing piece they did in the exam and probably the school report.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

If we're talking about internal reviews rather than independent appeals, the idea behind many review systems has been that they can settle cases where there is absolutely no doubt that the child should have qualified, thereby saving the unnecessary time and expense of an independent appeal.

If these are clear cut cases, I see nothing unfair in such children being subject to exactly the same oversubscription criteria on 1st March as those who qualified with an 11+ score that may or may not be entirely reliable.

It's understandable that we are each concerned for our own child, but a shame if we become less than charitable towards those who are equally concerned for their own child, and acting entirely legitimately.
Etienne
catmum

Post by catmum »

Thanks etienne, My son was fully expected to pass the exam, he has high SATs etc and his school support me on this, there were reasons he underperformed in the exam and it's unfortunate how much rests on one days performance. We all want what is best for our own child.

Sensible, best of luck with your choice.
Sensible

Post by Sensible »

Thanks catmum. Sorry if I have sounded a bit harsh....my apologies. I totally agree with you on how unfortunate it is that so much rests on the one days performance.
Good luck to your son, I wish you all well. Who knows.....I may be bumping into you in the next school year! (Fingers crossed) x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now