grammar school review/appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Elphaba

Re: grammar school review/appeal

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saleiron

Post by saleiron »

Yes, pass mark was 315 and he got 314. Don't know how to manage his expectations. There is no mention of review processes in the letter. I thought they reviewed marginal cases before publishing results, but can't find any reference to it anywhere. I'll try to speak to his primary headteacher tomorrow in order to see whether the school was contacted by St Ambrose before marks were finalised. I could weep, but not until he's in bed. :cry:
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saleiron

Post by saleiron »

Will do. Thank you.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

Good idea to speak to head for any previous similar. I thought the process was that St A did the review. One mark is so near! I have a feeling there might be a type of early local review if you ask the school (St A) which is distinct from the appeal which are done in summer once all the places have been allocated.

Have you any extenuating circs etc.

Whatever happens, fingers crossed and hope you can make some progress. Let us know how you get on x
Chorltonmum

Post by Chorltonmum »

I know boys that have failed by a couple of marks and have not got in on appeal but they didn't have brothers at the school. Before I got the results I was concerned that my son wouldn't pass (and he didn't pass by much at all!) and I spoke to my primary school head and he gave me lots of reassurance that in his experience if he was marginal then the fact that he had a brother would mean that he would most likely get a place on allocation with no need to appeal. St Ambrose don't do a primary review before the results are issued but I get the impression they do it at allocation stage.

My son who is at the school is aware of a few boys who didn't pass but do have older brothers and I think in your case for the sake of 1 mark you will be fine.

Good luck to you and I hope he gets a place x
saleiron

Post by saleiron »

Thank you chorltonmum. That's a great comfort. I was worried that the review had already happened and that no-one got into St Ambrose on appeal. I am meeting his primary head later, so, hopefully, he'll be able to draw on similar experience to give us reassurance. My older son is convinced that a number of boys in his year got in with marks some way short of the pass mark, but that was five years ago.
punkyfish

Post by punkyfish »

Good luck with it. Really feel for you. We are waiting on results from the remaining three grammar schools and whichever way they go, know it will be a close call either way. Don't give up and if you have to appeal there is lots of good advice on this site. I've been reading up on it in preparation of needing to come up with a Plan B! :D
saleiron

Post by saleiron »

Thanks to all of you for your words of support, they haven't stopped my tears but certainly make me feel a bit better. We have also got the AGSB and Sale results to come but realistically given how close on St A I just can't see them being what he needs. I will continue to post as I realise it may help someone else at a later date. I have a feeling it is going to be a very long wait until at least next March. :cry:
catmum

Post by catmum »

Hi saleiron, I really feel for you, we had similar situation, I seemed to spend a lot of my time in tears for my son, unfortunately we weren't successful at appeal but you may find they will allow some appeals through this year with the new build meaning more capacity ( although officially its not supposed to be increasing pupil numbers as far as I know!)
with your son being so close you could have a chance.
Having said all that that my son is now settled and very happy at the high school, is in top set and doing well, I've asked him what he thought about a year 8 appeal but he's now not worried or wanting to try for it as he is happy where he is, so don't worry too much, children are more resilient than us!
Best of luck whatever you choose. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now