Failed to sit Exam for AGSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hattie bobs

Failed to sit Exam for AGSG

Post by hattie bobs »

I have a friend who is desperate for one of their daughters to sit the Altrincham Girls Exam for admission this September 2011! She says that the school have said they can lodge an appeal re sitting the exam! I am concerned that they are being misled as I cant see how someone who missed the application date and exam (unfortunately purely because they had planned to send her somewhere else until recently) could sit an exam at this late stage?

Many thanks in anticipation of any advice for her :roll:
HATTIEBOBS
hermanmunster

Re: Failed to sit Exam for AGSG

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Hattie bobs,

there is always the possibility of a late application. Some schools do late tests (April - June) for kids who have moved house or who didn';t take the test for some reason. The only problem is that even if they pass they will most likely have to appeal on grounds of oversubscription for a place as the school is likely to be full for Sept.

She needs to go back to them to clarify the process
hattie bobs

Post by hattie bobs »

Many thanks for the swift and helpful response . Will get her to look into it further
HATTIEBOBS
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I know someone who sat late for another Trafford Exam a few years ago. She got a place as well, though I can't recall whether she sat pre offer day.

If they let her sit the exam and she passes, I am pretty sure they won't be able to offer a place and she would take her appropriate place on the waiting list. It would then be up to the parents to appeal as to why their daughter should be offered an extra place over and above the girls who have made up the admitted numbers and that this outweighs the schools case against oversubscription. And of course she will be up against others in the same position.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

sorry should have said post this on Trafford and Trafford Mum may know more as she has girls at the school and is an expert :D
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Good point Tiddlymum - I'll move this to Trafford
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

TIDDLYMUM wrote:sorry should have said post this on Trafford and Trafford Mum may know more as she has girls at the school and is an expert :D
I am arriving late! TIDDLYMUM and Herman have given you excellent advice, Hattie Bobs, and I have nothing to add, other than presumably your friends are not assuming they will get in on appeal? Alty Girls aren't known for being over generous on allowing appeals, although some girls do get in. I hope your friends have other alternatives up their sleeves (which presumably will all need appeals as well.)