Pass mark and total score

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
madsdad

Pass mark and total score

Post by madsdad »

Last edited by madsdad on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elphaba

Re: Pass mark and total score

Post by Elphaba »

Last edited by Elphaba on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
punkyfish

Post by punkyfish »

The total mark for each paper would either be 140 or 141 (likely 141). These are standardised scores - a cut off max score of 140 or 141 indicates a child performing in the top 1/2 percent nationally and a total score of 338 would put a child in the top 18 or 19% nationally, so very well done to your daughter. The 354 mark equates to top 13% nationally. The scores aren't linear a score of 100 is the middle mark - 50% of children would be expected to have a score above 100, based on national standardisation.
This link tells you a little more.
http://www.11plusdiy.co.uk/Info/Grammar ... Score.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
madsdad

Post by madsdad »

Last edited by madsdad on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
punkyfish

Post by punkyfish »

Ah right, its the same principle though 300 would mean the middle mark and 3*141 would be the max mark, but it doesn't work as a percentage. You can't say 338/423 and change it to a percentage.. . that would be meaningless...I am sorry if I am being patronising to you and you are familiar with standardised scores, just that I know a lot of people aren't and I regularly deal with applied stats at work and so feel confident interpreting these scores and am happy to try and make it clearer. So say 390 equates to top 2% whereas 141 equates to within top 1/2 percent.

Also a score of 141 doesn't necessarily mean a raw score of 100% and wearen't privy to the raw scores so...I could go on but don't want to bore!
Tao

Post by Tao »

Congrats to your daughter! Mine passed too am so pleased for her.
I would be interested to know total score too. It isn't 3 x 141 as suggested because a) there are 4 papers and b) I know of children who have scored in excess of 423!!! Not many though and not much higher so they must be at the very top end which makes me think that the total possible cannot be 4 x 141, or you would expect to see higher scores. Anybody got any idea? My guess would be that max poss score is around 450 mark, but that's only guessing from high scoring children.

Just seen your post Punkyfish and I do understand what you are saying. I know we shouldn't strictly speaking be discussing the maximum possible score because it is so unlikely that anyone would ever achieve but we are still interested in what it actually is!!!
Last edited by Tao on Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
madsdad

Post by madsdad »

Thanks punkyfish. You're not patronising at all. I know nothing about 'standardised scores' so you've helped me to understand the system much better!!!
madsdad

Post by madsdad »

That's interesting Tao. I thought the creative writing paper was only looked at if the child was borderline (as in other schools) and hence marks only given for the other 3 papers. Obviously I must be wrong though if some girls scored more than the 423. Anybody shed any light on what the total score may be?
punkyfish

Post by punkyfish »

Ah sorry i was assuming 3 papers. I don't know and don't have any knowledge about Loreto in particular. Statistically it would make sense to be either 3 or 4 times 141 based on the number of tests, but if 4 times 141 the pass marks wouldn't make much sense. Maybe they do some kind of add on for a piece of creative writing?
Tao

Post by Tao »

I'd guess that the English and the Verbal are standardised because they are NFER tests. The Maths and the Creative writing are in-house so don't know about them. I think the Creative Writing does count towards the final mark but maybe doesn't have the same weighting as the others? Or, perhaps MAths and Creative writing are not standardised? That would seem pretty bonkers to me though....