admission for my daughter...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

dh_madhu

admission for my daughter...

Post by dh_madhu »

Hi
I am moving to Manchester shortly (2 weeks) and this now calls for an urgent need to look out for a good Grammar school (for girls) for my daughter. I would appreciate if anyone could guide me in this.
I would be working around Wilmslow and am looking for a house in the surrounding areas (15-20 min).
Any list of schools around this area and the seats available in them could help me decide on the house to rent as well.
Any suggestions pls!

Cheers,
M
hermanmunster

Re: admission for my daughter...

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi - which school years are your daughters in now? Are you aiming them to start now or in September? (many people move for work but wait a while to move the children)
dh_madhu

Post by dh_madhu »

Hi
She is completing her 7th grade this june here in scotland.
As I will have to move my family, I am planing to move to time her school entrance exams if possible.

Thank you
M
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

If she was born between september 2000 and August 2001 that would make her year 6 in England .. (the cutoff is different in Scotland).

If she is year 6 now then she would be starting year 7 (ie first year at senior school in september ).

The problem is that the exams for these were earlier in the academic year ... mainly last septmeber - decemeber so you will have to look to a late application / admission. have you tried some of the local school websites to see if they say anything about it?
dh_madhu

Post by dh_madhu »

Hi,
Well, she is May 2000 and will be finishing her 7th in a couple of weeks.
I have just managed to find a few schools around Trafford and have mailed them about any possible seats.
I am just wondering if I could find a list of other schools around.

Thank You
M
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

sounds like you need one of our Trafford Experts.... I'll move the thread to that forum and you can get some proper advice (i'm in Yorkshire :wink: )
dh_madhu

Post by dh_madhu »

oh..I am not quite sure of these areas..but checking the map and this site gave me a rough idea of where am heading....is Yorkshire anywhere closer to the place am relocating :roll:

M
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Trafford expert here! Thanks, Herman.

Hello, dh_madhu. The only grammar schools anywhere near Wilmslow are the Trafford grammars. There are two girls' only grammar schools in Altrincham, being Altrincham Grammar School for Girls (AGGS) and Loreto (the latter of which is Catholic). There are then three mixed grammar schools, being Sale Grammar School, Urmston Grammar School and Stretford Grammar School, based where their names suggest. Each of these schools admit on academic merit and for a Year 8 admission for September 2012 (based on a May 2000 birthdate) generally admit based on tests done in subjects like Maths, English and a foreign language. You would need to check with each school to see what they specifically ask for. All the schools have excellent results, but AGGS is the star performer academically.

All the schools mentioned are over-subscribed so you would also need to check if there are any places available at all.

In terms of living in Wilmslow there are certainly a number of girls who travel to AGGS from Wilmslow using buses. I suspect it is less likely to find children from Wilmslow at the other schools mentioned due to distance and/or transport (in the cases of Urmston and Stretford), and admission policies (Loreto).

In terms of schools near Wilmslow, Wilmslow High has a good reputation, being the local comprehensive school. It is very strong at sport. There are also a lot of good independent schools around. You could look at Withington (girls' only) and Manchester High (girls' only) for the top end academic type school or Stockport Grammar (it's independent, despite the name, and mixed) and Cheadle Hulme School (mixed) for a slightly less academic and more all-round emphasis, and then there's Alderley Edge (girls) or King's Macclesfield (mixed) for a more relaxed but still excellent experience.
dh_madhu

Post by dh_madhu »

Thanks for moving me into Trafford Herman. I have got a fair idea from a Trafford expert now.
I have just mailed AGGS,Urmston,Stretford and Sale Grammar schools about the vancanices.
Btw, I intend to stay closer to the school and so would choose any of these schools (if I am lucky to get one) rather than living close to my work (Wilmslow).
TraffordMum, thanks a lot for your time.

Regards.
M
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

You are welcome. If you've got any further questions after hearing back from the schools then please ask.

Note that all the schools are on half term holiday at the moment - back to work on 11th June.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now