AGGS Waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
eacb.2

Re: AGGS Waiting list

Post by eacb.2 »

I'm afraid I still don't see how it would have disadvantaged appeals in July if appeals in May knew if they were successful or not. If a case is strong enough to merit a place whenever it is heard they should gain a place whatever the number of girls.
ticktock

Post by ticktock »

x
Last edited by ticktock on Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

We were given the impression at our appeal that there was no particular number of cases that could be given places. In fact the panel went out of their way to tell us that they were entirely independent and that if they felt a case was strong enough a place would be granted.
Personally I'm pretty sure they have a very small upper number of places they will give however if that is the case they should not misguide people and should say from the outset that only x number of cases are available through appeal.
Thanks so much for the info ticktock re them letting people know on the 4th if they've been successful. I'll not be holding my breath waiting for my phone to ring!
overanxious

Post by overanxious »

Thank you ticktock for the info about dates
ticktock wrote: If the school did not put up any argument against prejudice than eacb.2 you are correct that any child that proves that AGGS is suitable would get a place.
Actually, the school didn't put up any argument against prejudice at all, until I asked a question about it. It was one of the (many) things that annoyed me!
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Thank you tick tock for the information re the dates. :wink: We also will not be holding our breath waiting for a phone call.

The school did not put any oversubscription/prejudice argument to us either. I think they were hoping than no one would challenge their written submission.

The panel may have given the impression that no particular number of cases could be given places, however the school provided information re successful appeals over the past few years (when we requested it) and they have not admitted more than two over the last 4 years. I would imagine over these past four years they would average 40-50 appeals per year and that there would probably be more than 2 very deserving cases. Therefore I assume that some criteria is applied to rank the cases to help the panel arrive at their decision in the fairest way possible. Perhaps Etienne or Capers123 could advise if this is generally the case.
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

I have just spoken to Admissions Office who have confirmed no more movement on waiting list. Presumably this means since Tick Tock on 25 May. We were number 3 on the waiting list and are now number 1. If our appeal is not upheld then I think we go down to minus however many successful appeals there are so that the PAN of 174 is preserved.

Admissions Secretary also said that appeals results will be communicated by mail not telephone call. Perhaps they will make an exception for the successful appeals.

If anyone looking here has not yet spotted it there is a thread about the current round of appeals at this school headed "Do I get a prize for the shortest ever appeal?"

I wonder what triggers movement in the waiting list at such a late stage? I am still hoping that there will be at least one girl on the list for more than one school which will come to light or that a family move away or that some girl is gradually persuading her parents that no she could not possibly bear to be parted from her friends at her independent junior school as they make their way to the senior school.......
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

It is true that in previous years successful appellants have been contacted by telephone to enable them to attend the induction day (usually the following day). Unsuccessful appellants don't get a phone call (or, at least, the ones that I know haven't).
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

I wonder what triggers movement in the waiting list at such a late stage?
I think very late movement in the waiting list is due to people who have accepted AGGS places but are also on waiting list for schools like Withington and Manchester High. If they are offered a place last minute for these schools (this can be up to and including the first few weeks of September) then some movement occurs in the waiting list.
Not much fun having to buy two uniforms and potentially change school after 1-2 weeks but it has been known to happen. :(
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

I'm more than happy to give up a place at MHSG for a place at AGGS - if only it was as simple as swapping amongst ourselves!
eacb.2

Post by eacb.2 »

Has anyone heard of that miracle that is a positive appeal result at Alti today? I know one person has earlier said that they were told by admissions the result would be phoned through if positive but another person was advised by admissions it would be posted!
Either way the whole thing is a shambles.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now