Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

SSZZF

Re: Moving house

Post by SSZZF »

What does it mean by 2nd round places?
gracec

Post by gracec »

Correct me if I am wrong- my understanding is in the first round 174 places ( e.g AGGS) will be offered to those who passed and live closest to school. Some children will decline offer to attend another school. The shortfall will be offered in the second round.
SSZZF

Post by SSZZF »

Thanks for the info
X
mayday

Post by mayday »

Hi.

Does anyone know whether these rules apply if you live in your rented home prior to the October deadline and simply apply from that address? ie. it looks like they only come into play if you do something suspicious looking? As a long-term renter in the area, I can't help being disgruntled by the 24 month tenancy rule as I have never encountered a landlord or agency willing to grant such a tenancy initially and certainly not one without a break clause. Several agencies in the area have a blanket policy of 6 month tenancies and it is possible that we would have to move due to landlord serving notice at any point during the application procedure.

Thank you :)
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Correct me if I am wrong- my understanding is in the first round 174 places ( e.g AGGS) will be offered to those who passed and live closest to school. Some children will decline offer to attend another school. The shortfall will be offered in the second round.
Correct however they usually over offer by around 30ish places because they know some places will be declined. Last year they did not have many declines so they did not manage an official second round of offers just a very slow waiting list. If you move into the area after the 15th October (ie after you are aware that your DC has qualified) your new address is only considered after the first round of admissions has taken place. This is risky as there is no guarantee that a place will come up on the waiting list before the start of term in September (obviously the closer to the school your new address is the higher up the waiting list you will go but it is a very expensive area to buy/ rent a house for this reason and you have to have a fairly long tenancy agreement in place) and you have no reason to appeal as all the rules have been followed as far as the school is concerned.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

mayday wrote:Hi.

Does anyone know whether these rules apply if you live in your rented home prior to the October deadline and simply apply from that address? ie. it looks like they only come into play if you do something suspicious looking? As a long-term renter in the area, I can't help being disgruntled by the 24 month tenancy rule as I have never encountered a landlord or agency willing to grant such a tenancy initially and certainly not one without a break clause. Several agencies in the area have a blanket policy of 6 month tenancies and it is possible that we would have to move due to landlord serving notice at any point during the application procedure.

I think you would possibly be asked to show previous rental agreements showing that you have not just moved into the area to gain an advantage with regard to allocation based on distance.

The schools (AGGS/AGSB) seem to really be cracking down on address fraud as they have previously had many problems with people using other peoples addresses or renting houses close to the school with no intention of actually living there.
wigwam12

Post by wigwam12 »

CarpeDiem wrote:
Correct however they usually over offer by around 30ish places because they know some places will be declined. Last year they did not have many declines so they did not manage an official second round of offers just a very slow waiting list. If you move into the area after the 15th October (ie after you are aware that your DC has qualified) your new address is only considered after the first round of admissions has taken place. This is risky as there is no guarantee that a place will come up on the waiting list before the start of term in September (obviously the closer to the school your new address is the higher up the waiting list you will go but it is a very expensive area to buy/ rent a house for this reason and you have to have a fairly long tenancy agreement in place) and you have no reason to appeal as all the rules have been followed as far as the school is concerned.
Correct - as I my experience also highlighted :D
Lastminute.com offer (6 of them I understand).
To be fair to the school if you maintain polite open dialogue throughout they are incredibly helpful
mayday

Post by mayday »

CarpeDiem wrote:
mayday wrote:Hi.

I think you would possibly be asked to show previous rental agreements showing that you have not just moved into the area to gain an advantage with regard to allocation based on distance.

The schools (AGGS/AGSB) seem to really be cracking down on address fraud as they have previously had many problems with people using other peoples addresses or renting houses close to the school with no intention of actually living there.
That makes sense. A little way off for us, will probably get even stricter!
gracec

Post by gracec »

CarpeDiem wrote:
Wow is it a bit risky ? What if all accept? one more lass ?
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

Some important issues raised by Mayday.
Yes it is virtually impossible to get a 24 month tenancy agreement. I read this as the school saying that it is virtually impossible to move during the application process and to have your new home counted as the address for 1st round offers. They have set the bar so high that very few people will be able to comply.
In your case I do not see any need to worry. As a renter you will be in the same boat as owner -occupiers in merely having to prove to a reasonable standard that your child lives where you claim. I imagine that one of the reasons the school have asked to see child benefit paperwork is because that is not affected by your type of housing tenure.
The very strict rules about showing long tenancies is for people moving closer to the school to gain higher consideration in the allocation of places. If you stay in the same area then this would not affect you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now