Loreto & AGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
overanxious

Re: Loreto & AGGS

Post by overanxious »

Hi, just wanted to send best wishes to all waiting for results!

My second daughter failed to get into AGGS last year, and I was embarassingly devastated :oops: (searching my posts will bring up the thread) and my lovely daughter was sad and quiet. :cry: There was no doubt in my mind then, and is not now, that she would easily cope with grammar school.

Last month she started at (you may need to sit down if your 2nd choice is an Outstanding Trafford comp :wink: ) the only-Satisfactory-and-a-couple-of-years-out-of-special-measures Parrswood. I was a bit anxious.

It has been great! She has joined more things in one month than her sister in 2 years :lol: She has made friends and really risen to the challenge.

No, her school will never be as impressive as AGGS. But she can be just as impressive as any girl there. The school may offer them opportunities - but it is our children who have to take them.

I'm sure all your fabulous children will continue to be fabulous whichever school they attend!
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Oh what a lovely post!

So glad your dd has settled well overanxious :D
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks overanxious, and agree with Elphaba, a lovely post!

You have, and continue to be a great asset to this forum and I wished like you did at the time that your DD's appeal was a success. However I am inspired and encouraged by your experience and am so happy that your DD is thriving and enjoying her new school.

Good on her and you! x
duffylove1

Post by duffylove1 »

Countrymum try not to stress..it will rub off on DD.
I feel for you though.
We too are waiting for Loreto. My DD is happy with the state school choice (where all her friends are going).
We have not mentioned Loreto since I collected her. I'm pretty sure she'll be fine with it as we haven't made a big deal.
My God daughter failed AGGS went to appeal etc. no joy.
She know is Deputy Head at AESG got 11A*'s and is a lovely young woman.
Good luck to you and everyone.
Finger's crossed x
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Thanks duffylove1

Tbh I come here to get it all out/let off steam and hopefully all my fretting is done away from DDs eyes, we actually try and have a giggle about it all and not make too big a deal of it with each other. I feel passionately that there are more important things to worry about in life, though having spoken to other parents who went through this last year, the days leading up to results are the most stressful, only this week it has all gone a bit wobbly for me, though am feeling much more chilled this evening.

Good luck to your DD :)
X
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

I keep the anxiety all hidden too. I am the only one in the house who knows when the results are due as it never gets mentioned. DH thinks it's sometime next week.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

overanxious wrote: No, her school will never be as impressive as AGGS. But she can be just as impressive as any girl there. The school may offer them opportunities - but it is our children who have to take them.

I'm sure all your fabulous children will continue to be fabulous whichever school they attend!
Good luck to all waiting for results hard to beleive it was a year ago for us. Like the quote above from overanxious your children will do well wherever they go.

My daughter also failed to get a place at AGGS (we also appealed) she is now at Knutsford Academy in top sets for everything and thriving. We never had any doubt that she was Grammar school ability however life sometimes throws you a curve ball. Her recent CAT scores confirmed what we already knew however she is having such a fantastic time that we will not consider moving her now even if a place comes up at AGGS. Just make sure your back up school is one you and your child would be happy with should you not get an AGGS place in February and you can't go far wrong :D
catmum

Post by catmum »

Similar tale to others, my DS marginally failed to get into st ambrose unexpectedly last year, I was devastated and he was pretty gutted too, all his best friends passed and he felt he'd failed etc :shock: . He is now in year 8 and thriving at high school, his current grades exceed his sisters ( who is now an A* student at Loreto) and he is a happy balanced boy with new friends as well as the ones who passed that really mattered to him and still meet up. I have asked him if he wanted me to look into late entry to the grammar schools, but he says he really doesn't want to as he has settled and is in top stream. The 11+ isn't perfect but children are more resilient than we give them credit for!
Good luck whatever the result! :D
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Thankyou Catmum, Carpe Diem and Overanxious, it is really encouraging after reading your posts, and worth preparing for other school options ie Local comprehensives which in Trafford are outstanding too..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now