Transport question

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
traffmum

Re: Transport question

Post by traffmum »

Welcome to the forum!
With regards to the bus route, the bus my children are on starts near the Asda Cockhedge centre and I think it leaves there around 7.20am. It travels toward Stockton Heath, reaching Longwood Road around7.30am. There are a lot of pick up points around the Appleton area and it then passes to the Spring brook pub area by 7.40ish and passes through Lymm ( last stop Jolly Thresher in High Legh). Must admit we drive to the Springbrook to make a later drop off and pick up time. We've found they return here around4.15pm, whereas when we used the Appleton stops the bus could be back around 4.45-5pm. It just depends the area you live in, as to which stop suits you. However, having a daughter in year 5 with only brother siblings, I am very aware the chances of getting into Altrincham Girls from this area are very slim. Don't want to be negative, but we too are in a quandary. Hope this gives a little more info.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

:D
Last edited by Oshosh on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

traffmum wrote:Welcome to the forum!
With regards to the bus route, the bus my children are on starts near the Asda Cockhedge centre and I think it leaves there around 7.20am. It travels toward Stockton Heath, reaching Longwood Road around7.30am. There are a lot of pick up points around the Appleton area and it then passes to the Spring brook pub area by 7.40ish and passes through Lymm ( last stop Jolly Thresher in High Legh). Must admit we drive to the Springbrook to make a later drop off and pick up time. We've found they return here around4.15pm, whereas when we used the Appleton stops the bus could be back around 4.45-5pm. It just depends the area you live in, as to which stop suits you. However, having a daughter in year 5 with only brother siblings, I am very aware the chances of getting into Altrincham Girls from this area are very slim. Don't want to be negative, but we too are in a quandary. Hope this gives a little more info.

Thank you very much, so much clearer now.
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

Hi Oshosh,

So you have a little boy then why were you asking for AGGS yesterday? No probs, new mum on forum.

AGGS is the girls school, and AGSB is the boys school. I wonder if you followed the parental banter, and tug-of-war for AGGS last evening on the forum.

AGSB is a easier entry than AGGS for out of catchment kids, and is very much possible to get from warrington, rather boys get in from far away counties or districts {aka Hunger Games style :)}

I am sure by now you have worked out the other abbrviations used, DC- dear child, DD- Dear daughter, DS- Dear Son and DH, MIL, Comp and so on :)
Enjoy your tenure on the forum! x
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Oshosh wrote:
Thank you Trafformum for the wise words. I am sorry I wasnt clear on the abbreviation used for schools as yet. My little one is a keen little y5 boy.

What are options would I have for him, grammar school wise. I am sorry to be so vague about my questions but all this is still quite new to me. I need to shortlist a few schools and then start coaching for him. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ah! I see. The abbreviations can, indeed, be confusing. You are certainly better off with a boy if you live where you do and have designs on the Trafford grammars.

Have a look at Altrincham Boys (AGSB) and Sale Grammar. Both admit to catchment children first (AGSB's being very small and Sale being considerably bigger) but then fill the rest of their places with highest scorers, regardless of where they live. Altrincham is a harder exam to pass, but I suspect that the high scorer mark required for Sale will be higher than the corresponding one for Altrincham due to the disparity in catchment areas.

Sale may be too far for you in terms of travel from Warrington. There are certainly kids from Warrington at AGSB. I don't know about Sale. You might try ringing the school and asking the question because they may well have bus information that they can pass along to you.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thank you everyone, for being very informative. No I understand , :lol: altrincham grammarcaters for boys individually and girls individually.

I have a look at bothe schools. I think I should be posting in different thread now, that topic is bit keyed towards which school. But thank you, I have made my first step. The rest is :mrgreen: a piece of cake.

Bye thanks
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

Just wanted to add that Saint Ambrose may also be a consideration. This is a Catholic Boys Grammar School in Hale Barnes and does admit some non Catholics. Mayne also run a bus from Warrington to Saint Ambrose.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

topsyturvy wrote:Hi Oshosh,

So you have a little boy then why were you asking for AGGS yesterday? No probs, new mum on forum.

AGGS is the girls school, and AGSB is the boys school. I wonder if you followed the parental banter, and tug-of-war for AGGS last evening on the forum.

AGSB is a easier entry than AGGS for out of catchment kids, and is very much possible to get from warrington, rather boys get in from far away counties or districts {aka Hunger Games style :)}

I am sure by now you have worked out the other abbrviations used, DC- dear child, DD- Dear daughter, DS- Dear Son and DH, MIL, Comp and so on :)
Enjoy your tenure on the forum! x
AGSB offer out of catchment boys based on ranked score so it's not that easy to get in unless you know you can score a good chunk over the pass mark.
Warrington may well be too far out for AGGS though as they allocate on distance.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now