Urmston Grammar results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bns

Re: Urmston Grammar results

Post by bns »

I would imagine lots of kids get 100% or vey near in the practice GL papers , my daughter often did, but that was certainly not reflected in her 11+ results
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

I'm sure that's common too, but plenty of children do score full marks or close in the actual exams as well.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I'm doing my pedantic bit here - please forgive me. I can't help myself :lol: - but getting 423 in an entrance exam doesn't mean the child has got 100 %. It all depends on their raw scores when standardised against the other raw scores. You could theoretically get 75% (or lower or higher) as a raw score but end up with a 423 standardised score if that score is in the best few of all the kids taking the exam.

We don't get our raw scores in Trafford but some of the other areas do get them (Essex is one, I think) and it is often surprising how low the raw scores are that equate to a 141 standardised score.

[Pedantic explanation over :roll: ]
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

TraffordMum wrote:I'm doing my pedantic bit here - please forgive me. I can't help myself :lol: - but getting 423 in an entrance exam doesn't mean the child has got 100 %. It all depends on their raw scores when standardised against the other raw scores. You could theoretically get 75% (or lower or higher) as a raw score but end up with a 423 standardised score if that score is in the best few of all the kids taking the exam.

We don't get our raw scores in Trafford but some of the other areas do get them (Essex is one, I think) and it is often surprising how low the raw scores are that equate to a 141 standardised score.

[Pedantic explanation over :roll: ]

Oh yes, I realise that. In fact I nearly put 'after standardisation'. I was just trying to point out that it's not that unusual for children to get over 400 standardised score in the exams :)

Last year Stretford Grammar gave raw scores. I know a child that got full marks on one of the papers according to standardisation but his raw score on that paper was a good chunk off 100%.

I'd love to have seen the raw scores - if only to compare the standardised scores for Alty and Sale out of interest.
bns

Post by bns »

spoke to school qualifing score for cat b enterence is 409
dd just missed out :cry: by" skin of her teeth"
hey-hoy AGGS it is then (hopefully) but it would of been nice to of had a guaranteed place as back up,
I just keep having htis re-occuring nightmare that AGGS will reduce there limit to 4miles or something stupid like that
anyway I know we are still in a privilegde position, many anxious parents are still waiting or already very disappointed, and my heart goes out to them
ManYou

Post by ManYou »

Anyone know what happens if for exampple, 5 of the top 20 scorers dont take up the offers?

Will their places be offered to top scorers 21-25?
bns

Post by bns »

if i remmember correctly the original figure of 402 I quoted for last yr , originally started at something like 410. maybe the top 20 have to inform the school if they have any intention of taking up their place, and depending on the answer the mark is adjusted accordingly , I had this conversation quite sometime ago though.
all this has to be done prior 31/10/12!!
to be honest not sure I could be completely wrong
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

bns wrote:spoke to school qualifing score for cat b enterence is 409
dd just missed out :cry: by" skin of her teeth"
hey-hoy AGGS it is then (hopefully) but it would of been nice to of had a guaranteed place as back up,
I just keep having htis re-occuring nightmare that AGGS will reduce there limit to 4miles or something stupid like that
anyway I know we are still in a privilegde position, many anxious parents are still waiting or already very disappointed, and my heart goes out to them
Not wanting to rain on your parade but 15 children passed AGGS from my DD's school this year (last year only 4). The next closest school had 22 girls pass this year out of a total of 28 who took the exam. At a nearby private school 8 passed and at another private nearby 11 passed. I don't know what's going on this year but a whole lot more girls in the area have passed compared to previous years. I think there's perhaps more tutoring going on and also maybe more clever girls taking the exam who maybe previously would have gone private, due to austerity measures. I have a feeling the net will be a lot tighter this year.
bns

Post by bns »

that would be a shame for her :(
may have to consider plan b and try to get a full sponsorship to go private, we are of meager income but still do not qualify for free school meals,
you would probably know better then i , are their exams a lot harder then the 11+?, are full burseries easy to get? do they also include travel costs ect???
Last edited by bns on Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

It depends on the school in terms of the exam. There's a hierarchy in the independent sector as well as state. However, if your daughter has passed AGGS then she should be fine for the indies. The exams are a bit different -there's more emphasis on written English and comprehension instead of VR, but the indies recognise that someone coming from a state primary isn't hothoused for the indie exams like someone at a prep.

However, getting a school to pay full fees or even half fees is very rare, I'm afraid.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now