Double Edged Sword

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Paprika

Double Edged Sword

Post by Paprika »

My little one has always loved learning and really wanted to go to a grammar school. She worked hard with her tutor, tried her best on exam day and was dead happy when she passed, moreso when the offer of a Loreto place was made.

But now that most of her friends have been allocated places at BTH she feels a bit left out as, barring a successful appeal to Loreto by her best friend, she won't know anybody at Loreto. The problem's exacerbated in her mind by the fact that 6 or 7 girls in her class are all going to the same school. When she came home from school on Friday she said she'd "cried 3 different times today" which was heartbreaking after seeing how happy she was when she got the place.

Now we've explained to her as gently as we can that as you go through life you make new friends and sometimes lose touch with old ones. We've told her she'll make great new friends at Loreto, that Loreto places just as much importance on kids being happy as kids being well educated, and that she'll still hang out with her best friends from primary at weekends etc but she's still a bit sad about the whole thing.

It's a strange old time ...
nickiveg

Re: Double Edged Sword

Post by nickiveg »

Last edited by nickiveg on Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cassie7

Post by cassie7 »

Having been really thrilled (parents and DD) over the weekend that DD had been offered a place at AGGS, my mood was dampened last night by a very heartfelt comment from younger DS, saying that whilst he knew AGGS was a good school for his sister, he was also 'really really sad' that they wouldn't go to the same school again and that he would really miss her! :(

It had never occurred to me that he might feel this way! :oops:
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

aww....touching posts, life goes on I guess!
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Last edited by Halemum on Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
parthiban

Post by parthiban »

My DS was a bit upset first as he realised he won't be with his friends in the new school(he is the only one from his school going to a GS) but children are more resilient than what we give them credit for.All schools normally invite children before Sept for a day to meet their form tutors and other children and I bet they will find atleast one friend by the end of the day.I know my son would as even when we go on holiday within few hours he is playing with some other children.Having said that if you do have a quiet, shy and gentle little soul it can be very daunting and upsetting.Let's hope they settle happy and well in what probably is the biggest transition they'll ever make in their school life. :!: