Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Elijo

Re: Schools

Post by Elijo »

I think it's just such a shame that people feel that they have to fork out such a lot of money for private education in order for their children to then go to a state grammar! I do understand though why , as we all want the best for our kids. Not everyone is so lucky to have the money though! I firmly believe that whatever school they go to it is our support as parents that will help them to achieve their full potential. My oldest daughter did not go to an outstanding school until now, after she had taken the exam. I identified any gaps in her education and made sure she understood question types. I did get a tutor every other week. I want people who are new to this whole game that you don't need to be the product of a private education to be a success!
bns

Post by bns »

the discussion between state v private always generates a lot of unnecessary heat
pro-state always making a case that state schools provides a more fair playing field for all children for entry to state grammars( there is never an issue regarding Indie Senior Schools )- this view point is wrong IMO kids are just kids! and should not be discriminated against, especially for choices made by adults, and I suspect there may be tinge of envy also and sometimes forget that these parents also pay their Taxes (and probably more then most of us)and are entitled to send their DC to state schools anytime they want! and while paying private fees are still contributing to state sector.
pro-private always on the back foot , making a claim that their DC are just as deserving of entry to state grammars and always resort to how bad and inadequate state schools are ( which is obviously nonsense considering so many state kids do so well at GS and Indies exams)-and psycologically having to justify to themselves and everyone else their hard earned cash has been well spent(especially when they discover some parents have spent a max of £200 on passing their entrance exam on diy tutoring )
neither postion is helpful to BB and her dilemma
so I suggest we return back to topic , and the more experienced posters help bb with a making an informed and balanced decision on what to do(as onthebink has eluded to! but sometimes we like a good old argument :lol: )
Last edited by bns on Mon Apr 29, 2013 12:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Elijo

Post by Elijo »

Actually bns I do agree with you! Well said! Nothing more to add.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

sorry ... last word...being...do not be smug. You know who you are and it really isn't helping.
fatsals

Post by fatsals »

Many Prep's exit children in Y5 who are not likely to 'make the grade' as it would significantly affect their results and therefore their future intake. Many, many children in preps are also privately tutored to get them through entrance tests and the 11+, this is alongside VR and NVR being taught from Y3.

These children are not inherently more able than any other cohort, they are simply in smaller classes that are not restricted in the same way by the NC. Some of the preps in the Trafford area do not sit SATs and therefore don't have the information to compare/contrast with local state schools.

I know the above to be true as I have taught in Trafford and have had a number of children from the preps. They are all sworn to secrecy about being tutored.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Busybee10
As I dont know whereabouts outside of Altrincham you are it is difficult to recommend. We have some great state primary schools in the Knutsford area and a small independent (Yorston Lodge) both usually get children who apply into the grammar schools and independent secondary schools. Although with the state schools you would need to prep your child yourself for the entrance exams as the content is not covered in school.
Would your child be happy to change school or is it more that you are not happy with the schooling they are being given. If your child is happy I would think very carefully before moving them as if they are at a better school but unhappy it could still affect their attainment.
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

fatsals wrote:Many Prep's exit children in Y5 who are not likely to 'make the grade' as it would significantly affect their results and therefore their future intake. Many, many children in preps are also privately tutored to get them through entrance tests and the 11+, this is alongside VR and NVR being taught from Y3.

These children are not inherently more able than any other cohort, they are simply in smaller classes that are not restricted in the same way by the NC. Some of the preps in the Trafford area do not sit SATs and therefore don't have the information to compare/contrast with local state schools.

I know the above to be true as I have taught in Trafford and have had a number of children from the preps. They are all sworn to secrecy about being tutored.
This is the most misleading post I had ever read on an internet forum. Children being excluded from prep schools? Being sworn to secrecy? Honestly, I am speechless...
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

:)
Last edited by agsbmad on Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fatsals

Post by fatsals »

Children being excluded from prep schools? Being sworn to secrecy? Honestly, IThis is the most misleading post I had ever read on an internet forum. Children being excluded from prep schools? Being sworn to secrecy? Honestly, I am speechless...

The word was exited, not excluded, you must read more carefully. Children are sworn to secrecy about tutoring, by their parents. It is more than a little naive to assume over a 90% pass rate for mixed ability children on the basis of preps alone. Likewise it is not possible to claim the degree of success at level 6 as they have been self assessed by the schools themselves, it being they were only reintroduced nationally last year after a 10 year break.
Elijo

Post by Elijo »

Busybee, if you decide to go the tutor/ DIY route instead you can get your children up to the required standard needed. I used a tutor who had been highly recommended when I moved over this way for the last few months before the exam for my daughter to concentrate on exam techniques and any gaps in the maths. Concepts like long division can be taught quite quickly to a reasonably able child so dont panic! This particular tutor takes students on a year before the exams. He was really excellent and runs mock exams etc for added confidence. I shall be using him again for my next daughter. She will start with him in September. It's a much cheaper yet effective alternative in my opinion. I am sure there are many good tutors out there if you do the research. Good luck in whatever you decide.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now