Formulae help AGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Etienne

Re: Formulae help AGGS

Post by Etienne »

topsyturvy wrote:I don't think they ever use the same paper for the late takers.
Thanks for that - but, unless someone can point to an up-to-date authoritative source stating that a different paper is used, we simply have to err on the side of caution.
Altymumof2 wrote:Don't you think they would have to in order to make the results reliable otherwise it could be claimed that one set of exams was harder than the other?
Interesting point. I assume this is why it's quite common for admission authorities to use the same paper.
Etienne
topsyturvy

Post by topsyturvy »

GL Assessment produce multiple test papers which are standardised to predict level of attainment. It is worth checking with school on this but if they use the same paper then it would be easier for second time takers. It is un-fair and questions would have been leaked. Children can remember questions they had in the test, and discuss with their respective tutors and parents. I am sure this can be asked from school to verify clearly under freedom of information act.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

It would make sense to have a different paper.

For example, in NVR the children can easily remember which 2 question types were covered and knowing this would provide a clear advantage to late takers. Also with VR, my children remembered words they weren't sure of the meaning of and that, again, would give a late taker an advantage in knowing that information.

I would still err on the side of caution though - it's probably not a good idea to put specific questions on the forum. Even if it's just a question 'type' that was a bit unusual - that may well appear in the late test too, albeit with different details and numbers.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I would still err on the side of caution though

Indeed. As a responsible forum we would not want to risk doing anything that could possibly undermine the integrity of an admission authority's tests.

If the same test were to be used for late sittings, it's true that individual children who've already taken the test may pass on information with varying degrees of reliability - but we have a clear policy not to allow anything to be published to a wider audience on here that might give someone else an unfair advantage.

It's not enough that someone may 'think' a different paper is used, or believe a different paper would in principle be a good idea. :?
The issue is whether we know for certain that a different test will be used for later sittings.

If anyone has hard evidence from an authoritative source confirming that the school's current policy is to use a different test, please let us have a copy!
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now