Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
elizabethswan

Re: Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Post by elizabethswan »

So now my attitude is wrong!! I've never heard such rubbish! I went to a comprehensive school where there was smoking, drug taking, pregnancies and I turned out ok! If your child has a strong moral core and supportive parents it doesn't matter where they go to school! You cannot protect your kids from life by pretending things don't happen! They do and they happen everywhere irrespective of how much money you may have.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Think we need to leave this one here.

There are good and bad behaviours in all schools from the worst performing to the elite red brick indies.

If you are happy with the school you select for your child and they are happy, then that's fine. If you later decide you are not happy and decide to change, then thats's fine too!

Not everyone is so lucky to have the breadth of fine schools that exist in Trafford ( and that's selective and not selective). I am not a Trafford resident, but have been lucky to send my son to school in one of the boroughs excellent schools.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

elizabethswan wrote:It's fine to exercise your right to choose whatever you want for your child, but not really an informed opinion unless you have a child at ACA. I've seen plenty of kids from other comps smoking, it's not a big deal, been happening everywhere ;there will always be some children who think it's cool, it's not exclusive to one school. My experience of ACA is very positive, my daughter is very happy, is predicted to get top marks in her GSCE's. It's a mistake to try to segregate people into groups where the children are all from privileged backgrounds, doesn't really give the children a balanced or realistic view of the world, does it? It just leads to fear, prejudice and at some point they have to be let loose in the world. There are plenty of drugs and smoking/alcohol at university, you can't control the environment your kids are in forever.
That's the lovely thing about grammar schools, its not just for the privileged background. My DD isn't by any stretch of the imagination from a privileged background. A lot of her friends at school aren't from privileged backgrounds either. They're just all clever. My youngest wont got to GS, I will hopefully be able to find a school that will help her express her creativity rather than hot house her for uni, which seems to suit my eldest.
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

I think a lot of kids used to go from the Newell Green and Benchill area but it tends to be more local kids now. I think it's improved and any kids that don't behave are put in the segregation suite and don't mix with the others. I know people who have sent their children there and have been impressed.
Unfortunately children smoke dope etc everywhere- a 6th former was expelled for trying to sell drugs at my sons school at the beginning of this term- I am just pleased that it was handled well by the school.
I think there is a bit of snobbery going on about ACA- you need to make your own choice.
Nimbus

Post by Nimbus »

smiler10 wrote:I think a lot of kids used to go from the Newell Green and Benchill area but it tends to be more local kids now. I think it's improved and any kids that don't behave are put in the segregation suite and don't mix with the others. I know people who have sent their children there and have been impressed.
Unfortunately children smoke dope etc everywhere- a 6th former was expelled for trying to sell drugs at my sons school at the beginning of this term- I am just pleased that it was handled well by the school.
I think there is a bit of snobbery going on about ACA- you need to make your own choice.
I was a bit worried about the sound of a 'Segregation suite'- it sounds like Broadmoor! but like you, I have friends that are thrilled with it and they are affluent families. I have also heard that the catchment is now more the local area and there are meant to be some fabulous teachers there.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

Nimbus wrote:
smiler10 wrote:I think a lot of kids used to go from the Newell Green and Benchill area but it tends to be more local kids now. I think it's improved and any kids that don't behave are put in the segregation suite and don't mix with the others. I know people who have sent their children there and have been impressed.
I was a bit worried about the sound of a 'Segregation suite'- it sounds like Broadmoor! but like you, I have friends that are thrilled with it and they are affluent families. I have also heard that the catchment is now more the local area and there are meant to be some fabulous teachers there.
Segregation Suite? Well now you've sold it to me. No mention of this on their leaflets and the website. This is to accommodate the privileged children I assume? So they can all learn together and not be bothered by the poor.
onthebrink

Post by onthebrink »

Halemum, too funny!!!!
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

Halemum- The segregation suite is so that the problem kids don't disturb other pupils. They start later and finish later and have separate breaks from the rest of the school.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

smiler10 wrote:Halemum- The segregation suite is so that the problem kids don't disturb other pupils. They start later and finish later and have separate breaks from the rest of the school.
Went right over your head didn't it? :D
davids3511

Post by davids3511 »

I have to agree with the comment about the teachers at ACA. I know a few and they really are great.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now