Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
elizabethswan

Re: Academy,grammar school and what they offer

Post by elizabethswan »

Actually ACA has been oversubscribed in recent years and has a waiting list. Also children don't have to turn bad, whatever company they keep, I wish people who know nothing about ACA would stop saying awful things about it, everyone I know with a child there is extremely happy, and some schools give far too much homework anyway. People should get a grip, not everyone thinks over tutoring children is a great idea, ACA has a holistic approach to education, with non academic subjects, vocational courses and sports being very much encouraged so that all, not just the top 5% of children can achieve and feel good about themselves. Please don't be judgemental over schools; some people have a lot less choice than others; there's a lot of snobbery in this area!
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

If I'd picked a school on the basis of what others thought/told me she'd wouldn't be in any school believe me :lol: I cannot emphasis enough how important it is to go and see a school for yourself, make your own judgement...yes word of mouth is valid but I wouldn't count on this alone. As for the school in question I have stepped my very own feet in there, spoke to the enthusiastic headmaster, had a good look around. I actually found it quite an inspiring, creative school. I also spoke to admissions who explained it is an oversubscribed school. We are not in area for it, but wanted to see for myself every school that may have been a possibility for DD.

I do sometimes feel that so many think the two 'high achieving' grammar schools in the area really are the bees knees, and anything else is just, well inferior. No school, high, GS, indie is perfect in my opinion. It's not just about churning out little clever clogs, who go on to the best universities, education for me is so much more than just academia.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

agsbmad wrote:DS is at Alty Boys and I could honestly say I had never seen a boy in Alty uniform smoking. By the way they do have Tech and they can't choose the language they study. Alty Boys also teach Classics in year 7 and Latin from year 8.
Thanks agbsmad, i possibly got a few things wrong. Nice to know the above. I am aslo happy to hear help is at hand in grammar schools as well.

And the academy i visited is not ACA, to be honest i dont even know where this ACA is,but saying that i dont think slaying a school in a public forum is right.

I have yet to see any secondary school kids in our area smoke as such, and i do work quite close to the town. But if i do, i think i am more mature than just judging the school bad. As a poster previously said "a good school doesn't make a genius , but helps identify one".

Good luck to everyone to waiting for the results.......
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

i dont think slaying a school in a public forum is right
Completely agree.
Every child will have a unique experience at each school depending on their own personality traits/academic abilities. That is why it is important to look around all possible options to find out which are most suited to your DC and not rely on hearsay.
Halemum

Post by Halemum »

CarpeDiem wrote:
i dont think slaying a school in a public forum is right
Completely agree.
Every child will have a unique experience at each school depending on their own personality traits/academic abilities. That is why it is important to look around all possible options to find out which are most suited to your DC and not rely on hearsay.

Different strokes for different folks. My eldest DD is at a grammar school which she is well suited to. I cannot for the life of me picture my youngest at the same school, she is a completely different child. More into dancing and creativity than academia. I don't think I'd even encourage her to take the entrance exam.

However I do take note of what my good friend's (not just aquaintances or Facebook virtual friends) say about the schools their children are attending and if they feel there is a valid reason to take their children out, then that rings alarm bells for me.
Mstar

Post by Mstar »

I am due to visit ACA this Wednesday with dd, if she misses out on GS then, ACA or Ashton On Mersey are our choices. I'm hearing mixed reviews from ACA, does anybody know when they changed their catchment to just M33, WA14 & WA15?

Also, ACA is a bus ride away as opposed to AOM that is in walking distance, making the latter more convenient but it's a much bigger school than ACA.

Anybody out there with any advise? :?
davids3511

Post by davids3511 »

@elizabethswan

I was stating what I saw every morning. Should I not just because some, like you, won't like it? Wellington, BTH, Loreto, AGSB all had kids walking past me every day for years. Some of the ACA kids were by far the worst. Some were fine, but I still wouldn't want my child there mixing with the dodgy ones. It's nothing to do with snobbery, just trying to make reasonable choices for my son.
gracec

Post by gracec »

When I was living in Chester, my house was close to 2 'good- ofsted' local high schools.
I used to feel intimidated when the kids walk past me, smoking and swearing. Girls wear such short skirts and heavy make up. Don't lower estimate peer pressure. It will also make your job harder as a parent.
elizabethswan

Post by elizabethswan »

It's fine to exercise your right to choose whatever you want for your child, but not really an informed opinion unless you have a child at ACA. I've seen plenty of kids from other comps smoking, it's not a big deal, been happening everywhere ;there will always be some children who think it's cool, it's not exclusive to one school. My experience of ACA is very positive, my daughter is very happy, is predicted to get top marks in her GSCE's. It's a mistake to try to segregate people into groups where the children are all from privileged backgrounds, doesn't really give the children a balanced or realistic view of the world, does it? It just leads to fear, prejudice and at some point they have to be let loose in the world. There are plenty of drugs and smoking/alcohol at university, you can't control the environment your kids are in forever.
agsbmad

Post by agsbmad »

Last edited by agsbmad on Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now