Unsure about schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firswood67

Unsure about schools

Post by firswood67 »

Can anybody tell me what would be the main differences between AGSB and Sale Grammer. Maybe they have experiences or children attending these schools.

I did not manage to make the AGSB open evening and only got a very swift look at Sale Grammer.

My impressions are that AGSB is more academic whilst Sale does not get equivalent results but is more relaxed. I may be way off.
Halemum

Re: Unsure about schools

Post by Halemum »

firswood67 wrote:Can anybody tell me what would be the main differences between AGSB and Sale Grammer. Maybe they have experiences or children attending these schools.

I did not manage to make the AGSB open evening and only got a very swift look at Sale Grammer.

My impressions are that AGSB is more academic whilst Sale does not get equivalent results but is more relaxed. I may be way off.
Yes I think your last paragraph may be accurate if you look at the league tables. Also, the big difference is that Sale Grammar has girls, which could be a distraction, or not, depending on your child.

We had a similar choice to yours, either AGGS or Sale and chose AGGS because I thought an all girls school would suit my DD better, and the fact that its walking distance, whereas Sale would have been a walk and a tram ride away.
firswood67

Post by firswood67 »

Thanks Halemum.

I am confident that my son will do fine in either as long as the atmosphere is good. Girls aren't on the radar at the moment .... he plays badminton and will hardly talk to his mixed doubles partner!! ... however I would prefer a mixed school.

Not sure if there is a vast difference in results in reality as tables seem to be confusing.
mummmy

Post by mummmy »

Hi
I understand Manchester grammar school is an independent school. Is there much difference between this school and Altrincham grammar school for boys? I am not from the area and would really appreciate your DS's personal experience.
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

mummmy wrote:Hi
I understand Manchester grammar school is an independent school. Is there much difference between this school and Altrincham grammar school for boys? I am not from the area and would really appreciate your DS's personal experience.
The difference is about £12,000 a year savings for your back pocket :lol:

Many people say that AGSB/AGGS is the same as a private education but without having to pay!
mummmy

Post by mummmy »

Thanks Mr 147! I am sure boys are happy in both schools
gracec

Post by gracec »

I have a friend who has a bright daughter she studied up to GCSE in AGGS and had always been on the top group/ class. Parents thought it might be even better for her to study at Withington girls school for A-levels. The result was very disappointing. New learning environment and different social scene. It was not worth it for them.
Withington is superb school but still not for everyone.

Unless money is no object, I would rather work less and spend more time with/ on my kid.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now