Exam Prep

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tongmeister

Re: ExamPrep

Post by Tongmeister »

I wasn't referring to you yamin151, calm down.
After reading comments from yourself and yamin I am now thinking, is tutoring really for those children that are reluctant to be taught by their parents??
Which was posted by yunny, and was merely a discussion point, not an attack (since I wasn't even referring to you, or indeed anyone). There are no right wrong/answers and with this being a discussion board and everything I thought we'd have one... *sigh*

I was hoping to hear from parents with interesting points of view not have people exclaiming "how very DARE you!" and get offended.
yunny

Post by yunny »

mmm yes, I knew this would get a bit heated, it is a delicate topic, to tutor or not!!

Tongmeister I think, and this is my own opinion of u, that u assume every child should be tutored by their parents, but this is not always the case as I'm sure many parents have tried DIY but their child just wont listen, whether this may be down to lack of ability which leads to frustration or merely a child who would listen and concentrate better with a tutor rather then their parents.

I am lucky that my dd listens and concentrates whether its myself or dad tutoring her, however, if she was reluctant to learn from us we would definitely be taking on a tutor!

Please don't let this turn into a slanging match as it is a discussion board were anyone who is in this situation can air their opinions! :roll: :wink:
Tongmeister

Post by Tongmeister »

Heated is fine... It's when people are passionate that things get interesting.

I just felt that when it is assumed that almost 100% of the class has a tutor things have gone wrong somehow, and that we were being looked upon as "lesser parents" than those financially investing in their children's futures...

I suppose that one thing that we can agree on is that the education a child receives at a grammar school makes it worth the time/money/effort?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Tongmeister wrote:Heated is fine... It's when people are passionate that things get interesting.

I just felt that when it is assumed that almost 100% of the class has a tutor things have gone wrong somehow, and that we were being looked upon as "lesser parents" than those financially investing in their children's futures...

I suppose that one thing that we can agree on is that the education a child receives at a grammar school makes it worth the time/money/effort?
And we think we are see as lesser parents because of the insistence that little johnny didn't get any tutoring, it wasn't felt he needed it, if he had needed it he wasn't suited to grammar school etc etc etc. And of course it's gone wrong! There should be 100% grammar school coverage, so all children live in catchment and get to go if they are the brighter half of students,the other half go to secondary modern, or there should be none at all so no competition for the places exists at all. Where there is competition as we have it now, there will always be people wanting to get ahead and it becomes harder and harr to win. Suspect even if no GS at all we would just find house prices followed the good schools, so no one can ever win unless they are prepared to tutor, DIY or not, or have wealth.
cassie7

Post by cassie7 »

A hot topic!

One more aspect of the 'to tutor or not' debate, is the type of primary school DC attends.

I have many friends whose children attend a variety of local Trafford prep schools. Their children started NVR/VR/maths problem exercises as early as year 1, and then continue to do practise those type of questions in school on a weekly basis right upto year 6 and the entrance exams. It really makes me laugh when I hear these parents who send their children to these local prep schools saying they 'DIY'd' ......or DC didn't have a tutor! Really? Some Y5 prep school kids I know this year also have an external tutor ASWELL!

Tongmeister, Yasmin151, Yunny - what type of school of school did your DC attend?

Amongst the Trafford state primaries, the level of 'in school' 11+ prep varies widely. Some do a great job of preparing the children for the entrance exams - others do nothing at all. As a parent you need to make a judgement - how best can I support my child in preparing for the 11+ exams? What prep does the child do at school? etc

Personally I think you are very naive if you think that even the brightest of children will just walk into a highly competitive exam and achieve their full potential. When else would you sit an exam without any preparation? I can't think of any situation!

You shouldn't criticise people for wanting the best for their children and doing what they can afford. And maybe by having a weekly tutoring slot - either external or DIY helps to level the playing field somewhat of those children have attended prep school for 7 years! Just because you cannot afford prep school fees, you shouldn't be made to feel that you are not able / shouldn't support your DC as best you can!

Cassie7
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Hi Cassie7, my doc attend a primary that in common with most, if not all, state primaries, does no work towards the eleven plus at all. You are quite right in your point that without prep our dcs would be disadvantaged vs those who have been prepped and coached at school from year 1. I have no problem whatsoever with people choosing to DIY tutor, both avenues are designed to prep the child for the exam and both are chosen with the child in mind, not for the convenience of the parent, but what suits the child, the budget or whatever.
Tongmeister

Post by Tongmeister »

My child goes to a catholic primary school, that's all I will say.

My intention wasn't to get into a "I'm right, you're wrong" back and forth. If I have offended anyone's sensibilities then I can only apologise, however I do not apologise for my position, which was correct for my child (and not all, I understand.... See, a little personal growth ;) ).

The demand for places, due mainly to the exceptionally high standards that GS's achieve, is something all parents and children that prep for entrance exams want a piece of, and kudos to those that put themselves out there, even more to those kids that got passes in one or more of the tests that they took - chapeau to them all.

Now come on, group hug :)
smiler10

Post by smiler10 »

Tongmeister wrote:My child goes to a catholic primary school, that's all I will say.

My intention wasn't to get into a "I'm right, you're wrong" back and forth. If I have offended anyone's sensibilities then I can only apologise, however I do not apologise for my position, which was correct for my child (and not all, I understand.... See, a little personal growth ;) ).

The demand for places, due mainly to the exceptionally high standards that GS's achieve, is something all parents and children that prep for entrance exams want a piece of, and kudos to those that put themselves out there, even more to those kids that got passes in one or more of the tests that they took - chapeau to them all.

Now come on, group hug :)
Ewww!
You just have to do what's best for your child. If you go down the tutor route or go it alone -just go for it. Personally I wouldn't believe what everyone says. We had a very sanctimonious Mum in DC's class claiming she would never use a tutor but her DS was busy moaning about having to go to a tutor to his mates!
IMO it's horses for courses- do whatever you think is best and take the one's that say they didn't do any preparation with a bucket full of salt! :wink:
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Ewww!
You just have to do what's best for your child. If you go down the tutor route or go it alone -just go for it. Personally I wouldn't believe what everyone says. We had a very sanctimonious Mum in DC's class claiming she would never use a tutor but her DS was busy moaning about having to go to a tutor to his mates!
IMO it's horses for courses- do whatever you think is best and take the one's that say they didn't do any preparation with a bucket full of salt! :wink:[/quote]

Exactly , totally agree with smiler10, every child learns at a pace.more so i dont think grammar school exams are a great test of integillence anyway.....they do however judge one's reasoning skill and how well one performs under pressure. These skills some of it could be inherent and just needs polishing. Sometimes it needs to be taught and directed. A bit like a driving test!!!! ( i can just remember mine :wink: )
I would a give a trophy to each and every child for just trying out for these exams. :D

Tutor is sometimes necessary. My DS school did not provide any help with prep for 11 plus exams. However i am sure over the years from reception to y6, they provide the skills needed to absorb knowledge and learn new things. They provided opportunities to better oneself, and offered encouragement and boosted confidence. Which then laid the foundation for DS to go onto 11 plus. A year of regular work was needed for DS....i am not going to say he could have done it in a few months, i know for sure he couldn't have.
A tutor was necessary for us to fill some gaps, as my knowledege on NVR was next to nil. But DS after a few lessons, caught on with it. So we just got on with it ourselves after that.

So tutor or no tutor- it really depends on what your DC needs. I personally wouldnt hide the fact that we preped a year, with some help from a tutor, just like i wouldnt hide the fact that i took my driving test 4 times before i passed, and 45 lessons after..... :wink:

Cheerio....
busybee10

Post by busybee10 »

Thanks Oshosh and Smiler- brilliant advice, thank you :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now