Share your routine - 7 months to go for exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rimi01

Share your routine - 7 months to go for exams

Post by rimi01 »

I saw a similar post in Bucks forum and am tempted to ask same question to our group.
What is your study routine for Weekdays and Weekends. Here is my routine

On Weekdays, we do 10 min Bond in VR ( usually 2 papers) , Reading Comp practice from Schofield & Sims book, Maths 10 min Bond ( 2 papers) all depending on homework. Easy HW means more self studies. We try to do English on Maths homework day and try to mix and match our studies with HW.

DS has become independent in doing 10 min Bond papers, so he sets time, finishes it and checks answers himself and if score is not satisfactory, he attempts another test. He enjoys it, so I have no complaints.

We don't study on Fri night and Sunday night.

DS goes on ipad apps for NVR and a website for online maths ( from school). We try to read 10 mins everyday.

If for some reason, he feels like taking a day off from studies, I agree ( with a promise to cover it later :lol: )

Weekends work is entirely optional. We might not touch books or sit 1-2 hours for understanding something that requires extra work.

DS gets lots of xbox time, play dates with friends, movies, B'day parties - so he is getting fair share of fun as well.
yunny

Re: Share your routine - 7 months to go for exams

Post by yunny »

Hi rimi, I have a dd sitting alty girls this Sep :shock: the thing is we live in Warrington and I have phoned alty girls enquiring about the distance and to cut a long story short the lady told me we are very far out and may not stand a chance even if my dd passes. However, I am still letting her sit the exam as have been tutoring her ourselves for the past 2 years so seems a waste to not go thru with the exam.

Weekdays after school she does 10 min bond english, maths and vr. Weekends she does a hour or two on maths and English.

Not sure if i'm wasting my time putting her thru all this work when there's probs no chance of her getting in. :? :shock:
wilmslowmum

Post by wilmslowmum »

Hi Rimi & Yunny
DS does get quite a lot of school homework but i do also try and make sure he does some bond work everyday usually VR or maths trouble with me im flitting around like a headless chicken one week i think his maths need more attention, then i panic and think we should be concentrating on comprehension im beginining to think that he thinks i am completely mad :lol: im just pleased we dont have to bring NVR into the equation anymore ! We do have a tutor one evening a week for 45mins.
Weekends we always spend sometime on a full bond exercise, have been using susan Daughtrey books for a change they are good. we do make time for footy and friends.
We are out of area so DS would need a good score for Altrincham although DS being catholic would have a good chance of getting in Ambrose should he pass. to be honest for us the jewel in the crown would be Altrincham. looking forward to visiting the schools this year as i havent been around either as yet.
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Hi Yunny and WM,
We are lucky to live in Alty boys catchment area.
Any preperation will not go waste and I am sure your DC will perform well if their preparation is of Alty level.
Rainysunshine001

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

rimi01 wrote:I saw a similar post in Bucks forum and am tempted to ask same question to our group.
What is your study routine for Weekdays and Weekends. Here is my routine

On Weekdays, we do 10 min Bond in VR ( usually 2 papers) , Reading Comp practice from Schofield & Sims book, Maths 10 min Bond ( 2 papers) all depending on homework. Easy HW means more self studies. We try to do English on Maths homework day and try to mix and match our studies with HW.

DS has become independent in doing 10 min Bond papers, so he sets time, finishes it and checks answers himself and if score is not satisfactory, he attempts another test. He enjoys it, so I have no complaints.

We don't study on Fri night and Sunday night.

DS goes on ipad apps for NVR and a website for online maths ( from school). We try to read 10 mins everyday.

If for some reason, he feels like taking a day off from studies, I agree ( with a promise to cover it later :lol: )

Weekends work is entirely optional. We might not touch books or sit 1-2 hours for understanding something that requires extra work.

DS gets lots of xbox time, play dates with friends, movies, B'day parties - so he is getting fair share of fun as well.
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello Rimi01,

I have said this in the general 11 thread, but i would like to repaet myself, if it is going to be any help....

I kept diary system for DS-which worked really well, and kept me and DS informed of the progress and topic to be covered.

On sunday evening, ds and myself would sit down, and plan for the week ahead. covering studying weak areas, as well keeping a tab on full practice papers with timing pressure. I am stressing timing pressure as i find this quite important, that little ones should know how to keep on top of this. Doing full three papers on timed pressure started in summer holidays. This diary became our guru from april last year, and My DS is using the diary system so effectively now for his SATS preparation.....i am one proud mum :D . And now that he has got his own mobile phone...he puts all his work in the phone as well...bless him :wink:

NVR- should be practiced everyday-that goes in the diary almost everyday,including weekend- perhaps only for 20 mins sometimes. this needs to be kept on top of........Obviously alty has removed this element of NVR- so maybe you should replace this with VR. and give NVR a second place.

The Advise my DS would give you is Maths was diffcult in Alty. VR/NVR was little easier that GL assessment papers. So pls pay careful attention to Maths techniques and timing pressures.

Just ask if you have any questions.
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Thanks Oshosh. The Diary keeping is an ace idea. Thanks for sharing with us.
I wish 2014 wasn't the first year of English in AGSB and now news of Sale adopting CEM is coming :roll: . Phew
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now