Altrincham Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
NS1

Re: Altrincham Appeals

Post by NS1 »

Unfortunately, the admissions policy is clear that anyone moving into the catchment area after 15 th Oct will be considered from the original address, so AGSB are applying the correct procedure. I know of parents who have been in similar situations in the past, myself included, where the new address was not taken into account and were ranked based on score due to being out of catchment.

Not sure whether there are different circumstances in your case, but wish you luck.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Perhaps there has been some confusion with AGGS policy where after 1st allocation in March has been completed your new address (post 15th October) is taken into account. AGGS just rank their waiting list on distance from school score is irrelevant. It sounds like the boys school just rank on score post 1st allocation so their is no benefit moving in area after 15th October wheras with AGGS there potentially is.
For two schools so closely linked their admisskion policies are radically different.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Following submission of an application, a change of address to within our catchment area or nearer to our school will not be considered. If a successful applicant moves home between the date of allocation and the end of the Autumn term, the offer of a place may be withdrawn.
Looks like there will be no benefit in moving closer to AGGs from 2015 as they will only take the address on the original application form into consideration and it also says that if you move from the application form address anytime up to and including the Autumn term your place may be in jeopardy if it changes your distance from school to be further away.
NS1

Post by NS1 »

The same changes apply to AGSB!
determineddaddy

Post by determineddaddy »

SSZZF I agree with you that there is some confusion in the way AGSB 2014 admissions policy has been applied to you.

I have just looked at it and it says that you will be ranked from your original address "up to and including National Offer Day" ie 1 March. To me this implies that your new address will count after 1 March which suggests you should be in a higher category than the out of catchment boys on the waiting list. The policy is not well drafted and it is not clear. But I think the implication is there. The policy says until 1 March whereas the school have taken it as indefinate.

I think this is the grounds of your appeal!
determineddaddy

I have just looked at the 2015 AGSB admissions policy. It does not provide for moving house in any way after your original application.

It would seem that the school have applied the 2015 to your 2014 application ie the wrong policy. This was what AGGS did to us 2 years ago. Part of our appeal case was showing how they had applied a later and stricter policy to our application. I think it is probably wishful thinking on their part and they are very busy. It is an easy mistake to make.
SSZZF

Post by SSZZF »

Thank you, thank you & thank you determined daddy for taking your time out to look at this.
Can I ask your advice please. We are going to appeals and will be explaining why we could not move earlier than we did pregnancy, previous house on market.

Spoke to admin officer at AGSB she has said to me because your old house has not been disposed, your son will be still considered from our old address

How would I place the information about waiting list into the appeal ? Would I need to send info about the old house on the market since last year which is empty and how would I explain about policy being applied

Thanks for your help and advice
It can start feeling like there's no hope, but people like you can still make it feel like there is still some hope
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Both AGGS and AGSB have had problems in the past with people moving house temporarily to gain an advantage on the waiting list most by moving in catchment or quoting a relatives address once they know their DC has qualified. This is why they are constantly updating their policy to make any fraud as difficult as possible and to keep things fair because not everyone can afford to move. Unfortunately innocent people who have genuinely moved into the area are now disadvantaged. I think the fact that your old house has not been sold or rented out on a long term lease may count against you as the school will think that you have the option to return easily once you have gained a place at the school.

At leasr the new 2015 policy is simple whatever address is quoted on application stands re admission and you must still be living there for at least the whole first term of school.
determineddaddy

I agree with Carpe Deum's comments.

For your appeal I think you need to demonstrate the best case you can that you have disposed of your old home. What is in your favour is that the school policy does not define "dispose of" so it is up to you to show the panel a more convincing explanation than the school.

Can you show estate agents instruction for a sale? Or letting agent contract? But you will need to show beyond reasonable doubt that you are not playing the game of a short term move. If you have done nothing to dispose of your old home then I do not think the panel would be impressed.

I think the appeals panels are reasonable sensible people.

Good luck.
mayday

Post by mayday »

CarpeDiem wrote: At leasr the new 2015 policy is simple whatever address is quoted on application stands re admission and you must still be living there for at least the whole first term of school.
I can't find where it says this on the website but it seems very unfair for non home owners who have little control over whether they are in the same property for the minimum 13 months that this policy would require. Obviously no problem demonstrating that you have disposed of your old home but every admissions policy seems by someone oblivious to the fact families may rent legitimately and as their only option!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now