AGSB Y7 bullying

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mr147

AGSB Y7 bullying

Post by Mr147 »

My DS had to be collected on Friday afternoon after being hurt and upset by a much bigger boy. Apparently the older boys like to shoulder charge or elbow the Y7 little lads as they walk past them in the hall - this led to me DS being targeted after school on the last day of term. Huge bruise on his shoulder after being walloped and smashed to the ground by a big lad - more importantly it left him in tears and worried about walking through the corridors at school when he gets back - Surely these boys have the right to feel safe at school and not nervous?

A teacher spoke to my wife and has promised to look at the cctv at the start of term, though thinks it won't be clear enough to identify the culprit (what's the point of having it then?)

I have decided not to make a huge thing of it, and hope it doesn't happen again but has anyone else heard about this happening?
Mr147

Re: AGSB Y7 bullying

Post by Mr147 »

Forgot to add - I have already heard (several) stories of boys fighting, being suspended for racism and general unruly behaviour. Must be a highly charged year!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Regardless of what has or hasn't happened with your boy, the outcome is that he is feeling nervous and unsure. That is the definition of feeling bullied and I would certainly email now and ask to speak to his personal tutor or head of year immediately the school returns, to address his concerns. The school need to be aware that this is how he is feeling - they/you may not want to make something of it but they need to be aware of his feelings and it be recorded in some form - particularly if it happens again, rather than being a one off.

In all honesty, if a child had to be collected from school due to being upset and physically hurt (whether it be an "accident" or not - giving the older boy the benefit of the doubt here...) then I would hope that the teacher who spoke to your wife was a senior member of staff - does your son know who it was? Coupled with grainy cctv footage, if he does, that should be enough to warrant the school speaking to the older boy, surely?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There should be an assembly of the older year groups; someone must have seen something.

There are NO innocent bystanders in bullying and I'd lay it on thick that I expected someone to own up or tell.

I hope this is sorted soon ...
cleo

Post by cleo »

Hi Mr147,
As a parent of a child who attends AGSB I know that the school do not take any form of bullying lightly. Ch in me DS year (yr11) have been suspended in previous years for these kind of incidents and have nipped things in the bud before they can blossom. If they can identify the child through CCTV or other witnesses his parents will be called into school to meet either the Head, Deputy or head of year depending if he has been spoken to before and an appropriate sanction.
cleo

Post by cleo »

Meant an appropriate sanction being given.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

I have children from AGBS walk past my house daily, I have noticed a general deterioration in behavior in the past 2 yrs, we have been in the present location for 10yrs or so and previously boys have been implacably behaved and young gentlemen , I am getting fed up of the swearing and litter in my front garden :evil:

I know boys will be boys and a bit of rough and tumble is to be expected and even good for them but this kind of behavior should/cannot be tolerated and it undermines the reputation of such a prestigious school or any other school for that matter.

Nip it in bud now, would be my advise , not only for your DS but other DC and the residence in the locality.