st Ambrose Admission criteria 2016

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

miltonkeynes

Re: st Ambrose Admission criteria 2016

Post by miltonkeynes »

As St Ambrose is a selective school, staff would be crazy not to get their boys in. It doesn't seem right.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

This is also the case at my dd's school and also the school where my dh works. I understand that it is quite standard nowadays - maybe it's not as common as I thought? In both those cases I mentioned, the staff member must have worked there for 3 years before it applies.
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

'PRESENTLY UNDER CONSULTATION-DRAFT'!
Mr147

Post by Mr147 »

St Ambrose - Happy to take tax payers (state) money for multi-million pound refurbishment (Catholic or non-Catholic) but refuses to take non-Catholics.

Imagine AGGS or AGSB saying 'sorry, only CofE children allowed' there would be uproar!

To me - this is exactly what Ambrose is doing right now, and putting that statement at number 3 (or even included at all) is simply disgusting (in my humble opinion of course).
Slowrunner

Post by Slowrunner »

I'm not trying to justify it but many schools do give some level of priority to children of staff. I assume they'd still have to pass the entrance exam.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

There is a lot of resentment amongst local parents in Hale w.r.t St Ambrose who live on it's door-step but have no chance of entry and the the closest selective schools are the very competitive Alty Grammars and consequently are offered places far out as Newell Green!

There is a danger St Ambrose will alienate itself from the local community, it's not in their interest to do so, it needs to have a more diverse cohort , there has been an tendency for school admission policy becoming more and more pro Catholic, but one could argue it is a faith school after all but we do not live in a monoculture and I think the students there are been deprived of a wider cultural/ religious experience.

30%-70% would be reasonable I think?
mayday

Post by mayday »

Isn't it the 'any catholic primary' criteria that is non-complinat? In that it doesn't specify a list of feeder schools? I think Chorlton High have fallen foul of this recently and been forced to remove a 'any Manchester primary' criteria from their admissions policy.
miltonkeynes

Post by miltonkeynes »

Without wanting to go into too much personal detail, all I can say is the process and criteria for admission to St Ambrose is proving to be one of a kind :(
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mayday wrote:Isn't it the 'any catholic primary' criteria that is non-complinat? In that it doesn't specify a list of feeder schools? I think Chorlton High have fallen foul of this recently and been forced to remove a 'any Manchester primary' criteria from their admissions policy.
Until a couple of years ago, the 'in catchment' definition for our local grammar schools was that your child attended a primary school in the borough. However, they were advised that this was illegal as would be just listing all the same schools as feeder schools because some of them were indies. In the end, it was changed to a postcode-based area of residence taking in all of our unitary authority and the nearest postcodes from the surrounding area.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mayday

Post by mayday »

ToadMum wrote:
mayday wrote:Isn't it the 'any catholic primary' criteria that is non-complinat? In that it doesn't specify a list of feeder schools? I think Chorlton High have fallen foul of this recently and been forced to remove a 'any Manchester primary' criteria from their admissions policy.
Until a couple of years ago, the 'in catchment' definition for our local grammar schools was that your child attended a primary school in the borough. However, they were advised that this was illegal as would be just listing all the same schools as feeder schools because some of them were indies. In the end, it was changed to a postcode-based area of residence taking in all of our unitary authority and the nearest postcodes from the surrounding area.
The 'any Manchester primary' was always state only, having independent schools as feeders for a popular state high school would be very wrong!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now