WHICH SCHOOL TO GO IF FAILED

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SashaO

WHICH SCHOOL TO GO IF FAILED

Post by SashaO »

I`m probably stressing to early but which school are you keeping as an alternative?
I will be trying Sale, AGGS and Loreto.

But if my DD fails I cant even imagine which school to choose :idea: Very confused.

Wellington? BTH? A Level results comparing to grammar is much worse.

:shock:

Thank you x
enigma

Re: WHICH SCHOOL TO GO IF FAILED

Post by enigma »

Image "A computer would deserve to be called intelligent if it could deceive a human into believing that it was human."
- Alan Turing
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

SashaO wrote:I`m probably stressing to early but which school are you keeping as an alternative?
I will be trying Sale, AGGS and Loreto.

But if my DD fails I cant even imagine which school to choose :idea: Very confused.

Wellington? BTH? A Level results comparing to grammar is much worse.

:shock:

Thank you x
It is sensible to look at options as you will need to put somewhere on the CAF that you have a reasonable chance of being eligible for and are happy to attend (OK not always easy to identify, that's why it is good to think about it)

A level results at non selective schools will rarely be as good as selective schools because of the selection that takes place earlier at year 6/7. But remember there is a lot of movement after GCSEs - many kids go onto 6th forms at colleges, some go to the Grammar School 6th form etc etc . Quite a lot of kids, one way or another , will not do A levels at the school they started at in year 7.

Worth visiting to see what you think of places and try not to use A levels as a measure
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

also look at the value added stats the DoE do produce these for state schools , Indies a little more cloak and dagger though :roll:

obviously you seem to be in-catchment , but look at the surrounding schools like Knutsford High( exceptional value added) , Lymm, Bridgewater High in Stockton Heath for example.Out of catchment applicants are accepted at Trafford Grammars so it is only right we should be able to access their excellent Comps , I think this reciprocal relationship can work well.

I do feel for you ,since we do not have any proper all inclusive Comps in Trafford, life would be so much easier if we did :x
catmum

Post by catmum »

I agree with other posts, don't let the A level results sway you as most of the higher achieving high school children will move to the Grammars /other colleges for 6th form so the results are never going to be near the selective schools.

For info Wellington stream children from the start, initially into 5 streams and later into 8 or 9 streams and have a 'set 0' for the brightest ( pupils are reviewed each year and moved to the most appropriate set), so children are generally not allowed to drift/slip, they also provide a lot of support/extra revision in the lead up to Gcse ( more than Loreto did for dd) If your dc is borderline fail for grammars I would say Wellington is a great choice as they will be placed in the higher sets and pushed to achieve, it is a fairly strict school, but so is Loreto ( in different ways!). I can't say how well Wellington's streaming system does for those in the lower sets, hopefully it works as they will have the right support/pace?
BTH also seems to be doing well academically and does have the catholic caring ethos going on with a more of a diverse social mix of children, whereas Wellington has a very tight catchment of not much past 1 mile out I think.

(We are looking to other 6th forms for our ds ( hopefully))

Go and look at the high school options to get a feel for them, this helped me enormously
SashaO

Post by SashaO »

Thank you All,

Very complicating :( Also found out yesterday that AGGS and Sale Grammar have the same exams so my DD will have to sit one for both.
As I know last year Alty and Sale were different exams.

Well will keep working and practicing.

Good luck to everyone xx