Prep School or State with tutoring?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Daogroupie

Re: Prep School or State with tutoring?

Post by Daogroupie »

Mandy21, I am fascinated to read about one of the preps objecting to the move to CEM. Do tell us more. What did they actually do?

OP, some great advice on here. I am in N London and every year I meet parents who assume that putting their dc in the local prep will guarantee their a place at any of the local grammar schools.

In fact the preps want their students to appear on their destinations page for the local top drawer privates so the parents have an entirely misplaced sense of complacency about the state exams.

So if your goal is the local grammar make sure that the prep you choose does actually prepare students using the relevant exam format.

I would check out the local state primary and save your money for secondary if you can. DG
starfish80

Re: Prep School or State with tutoring?

Post by starfish80 »

As an update to my original question, we went to see our state catchment primary. We really liked the school and we thought it was somewhere our son DC would be happy. Head teacher had a great attitude and seemed to know the individual children well. SATs results very good. The only downside was we missed the more traditional, old fashioned feel of the prep we visited.

Going to make our mind up nearer the time, but prep feels like its off the cards. We might start him off in the state school, and can review options in juniors to decide if we're trying for the Grammar school or could move somewhere with a better non selective option if we don't think Grammar is right for him (Ashton Upon Mersey in Sale? Timperley? Wilmslow?) Saving our cash for private secondary is another option too. Lots of options!

Other option is to move now, but not sure if we're ready for that.

Thanks so much for all of your views and comments. I think the 'don't have a 10 year plan' was a great one to put things in perspective.